The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Gamma Knife it is… thanks for that info Ben

Forums General Melanoma Community Gamma Knife it is… thanks for that info Ben

Participant

Well I spoke to the onc in Sydney today and looks like we are going to Sydney in two weeks for gamma knife on my father's brain mets.

He has I believe 7 mets in the brain and one in a very crucial area near the spine at the base of the brain which will eventually render him unable to move. That was a stress to hear because my dad is terrified more than anything of ending up in such a state.

Well I spoke to the onc in Sydney today and looks like we are going to Sydney in two weeks for gamma knife on my father's brain mets.

He has I believe 7 mets in the brain and one in a very crucial area near the spine at the base of the brain which will eventually render him unable to move. That was a stress to hear because my dad is terrified more than anything of ending up in such a state.

Long story short, they have accepted him as a candidate which gives us something at least after being sent home with a call from the palliative care nurse. It takes 2 months to work though, with a 80% success rate I'm told.  I didn't even think we'd make the two months, maybe we still wont, but it has given my parents an element of hope and that is so crucial in this journey with cancer. 

I post this knowing that I am still going to loose my dad, there's not turning back now, this cancer is well too advanced.

Can anyone give me some insight on gamma knife? I know it everywhere in the States but its very new to Australia.

My love to Maria and Dave who up against so much at the moment.

Nahmi from Melbourne

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        s Mom
        Participant

Dear Nahmi,

There is a webinar on the Melanoma International Foundation website which explains gamma knife and brain mets.  Just click on the webinar tab on top and you will get a "pull-down" menu.  Click on the link and log in (give your email address), but that's it.  It's very informative, and I hope it helps.  I'm praying for you and your dad – don't lose hope.  Gamma Knife is very effective.  Take care and God Bless.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
          Participant

Dear Nahmi,

There is a webinar on the Melanoma International Foundation website which explains gamma knife and brain mets.  Just click on the webinar tab on top and you will get a "pull-down" menu.  Click on the link and log in (give your email address), but that's it.  It's very informative, and I hope it helps.  I'm praying for you and your dad – don't lose hope.  Gamma Knife is very effective.  Take care and God Bless.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
            Participant

Dear Nahmi,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Richard_K
              Participant

Nahmi

I am sorry I can offer no help concerning gamma knife, but I hope your dad will find some measure of success with it.

Dick

Richard_K
                Participant

Nahmi

I am sorry I can offer no help concerning gamma knife, but I hope your dad will find some measure of success with it.

Dick

Richard_K
                  Participant

Nahmi

Dick

aldakota22
                    Participant

Will keep you and your dad in my prayers.  Al

aldakota22
                      Participant

aldakota22
                        Participant

benp
                          Participant

Hi Nahmi, 

I'm really glad you could get on GK. As you know, I've had it (in Sydney) approx 2 months ago. It's a pretty smooth experience. Having the frame fitted and lying still for several hours is really not fun at all, but insignificant really. The nurses there are really nice and will take care of him. After the treatment he'll take a short round of steroids to avoid any edema. I've had no after effects excpet for the rare brief, acute headaches. No scans for me yet, though I'll be having my first since the GK tomorrow.

Best of luck, my thoughts are with you both.

Ben.

deardad
                              Participant

Thinking of you Ben for tomorrow, positive vibes coming your way.

Let me know the good news tomorrow.

Nahmi

deardad
                                Participant

Nahmi

deardad
                                  Participant

Nahmi

benp
                                  Participant

Hi Nahmi, 

I'm really glad you could get on GK. As you know, I've had it (in Sydney) approx 2 months ago. It's a pretty smooth experience. Having the frame fitted and lying still for several hours is really not fun at all, but insignificant really. The nurses there are really nice and will take care of him. After the treatment he'll take a short round of steroids to avoid any edema. I've had no after effects excpet for the rare brief, acute headaches. No scans for me yet, though I'll be having my first since the GK tomorrow.

Ben.

benp
                                    Participant

Hi Nahmi, 

Ben.

MeNDave
                                      Participant

Nahmi,

Gamma knife is a very easy procedure, with really no bad side effects.  Dave bounced back from it, and realistically, it bought him 2 really good months of quality time that I will forever cherish.  They may want to put him on some steroids, but may not – Dave had eight done, and he didn't need them.  I believe it depends on the size and whether or not there is swelling.  They will tell him not to bend over and lift anything heavy afterwards. He will probably be tired afterwards for a day or two, but nothing too extreme.  When they fit him with the "hood" they will first numb his head, which Dave said was the most uncomfortable part.  And remember, it looks worse than it feels. 

I hope everything goes well, and I'm always keeping you in my thoughts (Dave is resting comfortably right now, with a little smile on his face – such a blessing)

All my best to you,

Maria

MeNDave
                                        Participant

Nahmi,

Gamma knife is a very easy procedure, with really no bad side effects.  Dave bounced back from it, and realistically, it bought him 2 really good months of quality time that I will forever cherish.  They may want to put him on some steroids, but may not – Dave had eight done, and he didn't need them.  I believe it depends on the size and whether or not there is swelling.  They will tell him not to bend over and lift anything heavy afterwards. He will probably be tired afterwards for a day or two, but nothing too extreme.  When they fit him with the "hood" they will first numb his head, which Dave said was the most uncomfortable part.  And remember, it looks worse than it feels. 

I hope everything goes well, and I'm always keeping you in my thoughts (Dave is resting comfortably right now, with a little smile on his face – such a blessing)

All my best to you,

Maria

MeNDave
                                          Participant

Nahmi,

All my best to you,

Maria

deardad
                                              Participant

Yeah two good months is better than not all in my books.

Thanks for your kind thoughts and I'm glad Dave is comfortable, thinking of you.

Nahmi

deardad
                                                Participant

Thanks for your kind thoughts and I'm glad Dave is comfortable, thinking of you.

Nahmi

deardad
                                                  Participant

I meant two good months is better than not AT all in my books.

deardad
                                                    Participant

deardad
                                                      Participant

deardad
                                                        Participant

Nahmi

lhaley
                                                        Participant

I'm so glad your dad has a chance for the gamma knife to work.  I had SRS which is very similar.  The first time my tumor was very deep and very large – almost at the limits of them doing the procedure. I did end up having lots of edema and ended up being on dex for an extended time causing major side effects.  This time I had the procedure on 2 tumors and had no side effects.  Different hospitals have different thoughts on what they will give the patient before the procedure. Make sure to call and ask.  Having 7 mets radiated in one setting will take a few hours and it would help your dad if they give him something to relax.  Each met is dealt with at a time and I know when they dealt with 2 I was ready to jump off of the table! 

Good luck!

Linda

lhaley
                                                          Participant

I'm so glad your dad has a chance for the gamma knife to work.  I had SRS which is very similar.  The first time my tumor was very deep and very large – almost at the limits of them doing the procedure. I did end up having lots of edema and ended up being on dex for an extended time causing major side effects.  This time I had the procedure on 2 tumors and had no side effects.  Different hospitals have different thoughts on what they will give the patient before the procedure. Make sure to call and ask.  Having 7 mets radiated in one setting will take a few hours and it would help your dad if they give him something to relax.  Each met is dealt with at a time and I know when they dealt with 2 I was ready to jump off of the table! 

Good luck!

Linda

lhaley
                                                            Participant

Good luck!

Linda

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics