The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Losing hair while on Yervoy?

Forums General Melanoma Community Losing hair while on Yervoy?

Participant

Has anyone else had this side effect? My brother is between his 2nd and 3rd dose and most of the hair on his head has thinned out and almost gone. Anyone else? I know there are way worse side effects, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this one-

Has anyone else had this side effect? My brother is between his 2nd and 3rd dose and most of the hair on his head has thinned out and almost gone. Anyone else? I know there are way worse side effects, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this one-

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        yoopergirl
        Participant

No I didn't have that side effect but I did with the interferon, had to buy a wig because my hair was getting so thin. I think there are differant side effects that are not documented by the company, has he told his doctor? My eye doctor claims that I might be the only documented case with the problems with my eyes which I am still being treated for.  

yoopergirl
          Participant

No I didn't have that side effect but I did with the interferon, had to buy a wig because my hair was getting so thin. I think there are differant side effects that are not documented by the company, has he told his doctor? My eye doctor claims that I might be the only documented case with the problems with my eyes which I am still being treated for.  

yoopergirl
            Participant

Karin L
              Participant

Your brother did high dose IL2 right, I think?  Approx. 4 wks after I finished my last treatment I started losing my hair and lost about 3/4 total.  The hair loss lasted about 6 wks. then finally just quit.  It got REALLY thin.  My bets are it's from the IL2.

Karin

Kelly7
                  Participant

Yes, he did go through IL2 in February……so I guess its been 8 weeks since then. I guess we just assumed it was from Yervoy since he is undergoing that treatment currently. Thank you for the insite. Did your hair grow back? 

Kelly7
                    Participant

Yes, he did go through IL2 in February……so I guess its been 8 weeks since then. I guess we just assumed it was from Yervoy since he is undergoing that treatment currently. Thank you for the insite. Did your hair grow back? 

Karin L
                      Participant

It is growing back!   

Karin L
                        Participant

It is growing back!   

WendyPam
                          Participant

Hi Kelly,

My Mom is also a patient of Dr. Lutzky.  Like your brother my Mom is Braf negative. We just did scans again and see him on Tuesday. I wish your brother the best of luck with Yervoy.  My Mom had a lot of side effects from it. We had mixed results from it and did a reindution and only did 2 treatments before my Mom got colitis. Hoping for stable scan results on Tuesday. I'm guessing that your baby is coming any day. I had a baby the day after my Mom found out her melanoma came back. He's 21 months old now and has been her best medicine ever and also the team mascot at Dr. Lutzky's office. He comes to all of our appointments and has brought so much happiness to ever patient we come acorss. 

Thinking of you and your family!

Wendy

WendyPam
                            Participant

Hi Kelly,

My Mom is also a patient of Dr. Lutzky.  Like your brother my Mom is Braf negative. We just did scans again and see him on Tuesday. I wish your brother the best of luck with Yervoy.  My Mom had a lot of side effects from it. We had mixed results from it and did a reindution and only did 2 treatments before my Mom got colitis. Hoping for stable scan results on Tuesday. I'm guessing that your baby is coming any day. I had a baby the day after my Mom found out her melanoma came back. He's 21 months old now and has been her best medicine ever and also the team mascot at Dr. Lutzky's office. He comes to all of our appointments and has brought so much happiness to ever patient we come acorss. 

Wendy

WendyPam
                              Participant

Hi Kelly,

Wendy

Karin L
                                Participant

It is growing back!   

Kelly7
                                  Participant

Karin L
                                  Participant

Your brother did high dose IL2 right, I think?  Approx. 4 wks after I finished my last treatment I started losing my hair and lost about 3/4 total.  The hair loss lasted about 6 wks. then finally just quit.  It got REALLY thin.  My bets are it's from the IL2.

Karin

Karin L
                                    Participant

Karin

Roxy1453
                                      Participant
                                        I was only able to have 2 Ipi treatments and had to stop because of colitis. I also lost a lot of hair. My hair is very thick so I did not get a wig when it thinned. I asked the Dr and he said no the Ipi wouldn’t do that. I had also been under a lot of stress with having tow lungs surgeries so it could have just been stress. I also lost all the hair under my arms and parts of my legs. A little has come back but not much in places. So who really knows if it’s from the ipimor not!?

Best of luck!

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                        Participant
                                          I was only able to have 2 Ipi treatments and had to stop because of colitis. I also lost a lot of hair. My hair is very thick so I did not get a wig when it thinned. I asked the Dr and he said no the Ipi wouldn’t do that. I had also been under a lot of stress with having tow lungs surgeries so it could have just been stress. I also lost all the hair under my arms and parts of my legs. A little has come back but not much in places. So who really knows if it’s from the ipimor not!?

Best of luck!

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                          Participant

Best of luck!

Nancy

s Mom
                                            Participant

Hey Kelly!!

Did you have the baby?  My daughter had her little boy last Saturday!  Hope all is well with you and your brother.  How's is he doing on ippi?  Any other side effects besides hair loss?  Is he on the 3 or 10 dose?  Let me know – I am praying for your brother since he and Jeff are IL2 buddies.  

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Kelly7
                                                Participant

Hi everyone!

Im still pregnant, I am 39 weeks and 4 days, and the doctor wants to induce on Tuesday, May 29th. Ill keep you posted!

My brother goes in for his 3rd dose tomorrow. I'm so worried about him getting this dose, as it seems to be the number where most people start to have problems. He has been getting the doses on Fridays, so he can work all week then rest on the weekend. So far, he said he hasn't been tired.

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers. I hope all the warriors succeed! 

WendyPam
                                                  Participant

Hi Kelly,

I was thinking about you and seeing if the bundle of joy has arrived. If so I hope your feeling great!!  Thinking about your brother and hoping treatment 3 went well. I'm taking my Mom to Moffitt on June 8th for a consult with Dr.Webber, wish us the best of luck. Maybe one of these days we can do lunch!

Wendy

WendyPam
                                                    Participant

Hi Kelly,

I was thinking about you and seeing if the bundle of joy has arrived. If so I hope your feeling great!!  Thinking about your brother and hoping treatment 3 went well. I'm taking my Mom to Moffitt on June 8th for a consult with Dr.Webber, wish us the best of luck. Maybe one of these days we can do lunch!

Wendy

WendyPam
                                                      Participant

Hi Kelly,

Wendy

Kelly7
                                                        Participant

Hi everyone!

Im still pregnant, I am 39 weeks and 4 days, and the doctor wants to induce on Tuesday, May 29th. Ill keep you posted!

My brother goes in for his 3rd dose tomorrow. I'm so worried about him getting this dose, as it seems to be the number where most people start to have problems. He has been getting the doses on Fridays, so he can work all week then rest on the weekend. So far, he said he hasn't been tired.

Kelly7
                                                          Participant

Hi everyone!

s Mom
                                                          Participant

Hey Kelly!!

Did you have the baby?  My daughter had her little boy last Saturday!  Hope all is well with you and your brother.  How's is he doing on ippi?  Any other side effects besides hair loss?  Is he on the 3 or 10 dose?  Let me know – I am praying for your brother since he and Jeff are IL2 buddies.  

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                            Participant

Hey Kelly!!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Swanee
                                                              Participant

Yes…..I did lose 2/3  of my hair after one ipi dose.  I only had one ipi dose and got ulcerated colitis and did not proceed with anymore doses.  I was referred to dermatologist and she said this kind of hair loss could be attributed to a great stress either from illness, divorce, death or other trauma.  She said it almost always happens exactly 3 months after the trauma, in which case it was exactly 3 months and went on for about 6-8 weeks.  Fortunately for me, I do have very thick hair but you could definitely see my scalp through the thin hair……it was depressing as it was my daughters wedding and I didn't feel I needed a wig but my hair was dead and sad looking.  It's all better now though and is back to it's healthy, thick,  and curly and I will never complain again about my wild curly hair.  Let your brother know it's just a side effect, not to worry, it will come back…….better than ever!  Best wishes to you and your brother.  …..Swanee

Swanee
                                                                Participant

Yes…..I did lose 2/3  of my hair after one ipi dose.  I only had one ipi dose and got ulcerated colitis and did not proceed with anymore doses.  I was referred to dermatologist and she said this kind of hair loss could be attributed to a great stress either from illness, divorce, death or other trauma.  She said it almost always happens exactly 3 months after the trauma, in which case it was exactly 3 months and went on for about 6-8 weeks.  Fortunately for me, I do have very thick hair but you could definitely see my scalp through the thin hair……it was depressing as it was my daughters wedding and I didn't feel I needed a wig but my hair was dead and sad looking.  It's all better now though and is back to it's healthy, thick,  and curly and I will never complain again about my wild curly hair.  Let your brother know it's just a side effect, not to worry, it will come back…….better than ever!  Best wishes to you and your brother.  …..Swanee

Swanee
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics