The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

After 48 weeks on BRAF/MEK trial, the drugs no longer work. Plan B???

Forums General Melanoma Community After 48 weeks on BRAF/MEK trial, the drugs no longer work. Plan B???

Participant

The oncologist told us today that my husband's latest PET/CT disclosed a couple of new mets and some growth in pre-exisiting mets.  This means that the drugs are no longer working for him and we are on to plan B, which we need to decide upon very soon.  The two options the doctor presented were:

1. enrollment in a phase two clinical trial by MERCK on PD-1 or:

2. treatment with Yervoy and the Roche BRAF inhibitor as a combination therapy.

The doctor said if it were him, he would do the trial.

The oncologist told us today that my husband's latest PET/CT disclosed a couple of new mets and some growth in pre-exisiting mets.  This means that the drugs are no longer working for him and we are on to plan B, which we need to decide upon very soon.  The two options the doctor presented were:

1. enrollment in a phase two clinical trial by MERCK on PD-1 or:

2. treatment with Yervoy and the Roche BRAF inhibitor as a combination therapy.

The doctor said if it were him, he would do the trial.

Does anyone have any informtion on the PD-1 trials?

Thanks

Deborah

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Im sorry to hear the inhibitors have stopped working. My dad is currently on his 5th cycle of vermurafenib and we are in that buying time period. I'm not sure what to go with next but PD-1 sounds encouraging. I can't remember her name but she was seeing Dr Weber at MD Anderson and mentioned that MDX1106 aka BMS926556 is one of the better PD-1 drugs. I'm thinking your doctor is probably correct in recommending the trial as you may always try the 2nd option as plan C.

Take care and don't ever look back at the decision you make.

Nahmi

deardad
          Participant

Im sorry to hear the inhibitors have stopped working. My dad is currently on his 5th cycle of vermurafenib and we are in that buying time period. I'm not sure what to go with next but PD-1 sounds encouraging. I can't remember her name but she was seeing Dr Weber at MD Anderson and mentioned that MDX1106 aka BMS926556 is one of the better PD-1 drugs. I'm thinking your doctor is probably correct in recommending the trial as you may always try the 2nd option as plan C.

Nahmi

deardad
            Participant

Nahmi

LynnLuc
              Participant

I am in the MDX 1106 ( anti PD-1 ) trial at Moffitt with Dr Weber. I am doing great and March 26 I will have my 2 years of NED . I am stage 4!

LynnLuc
                Participant

I am in the MDX 1106 ( anti PD-1 ) trial at Moffitt with Dr Weber. I am doing great and March 26 I will have my 2 years of NED . I am stage 4!

LynnLuc
                  Participant

MeNDave
                    Participant

Hi Deborah,

I have heard that the anti-pd1 trials are showing better results than Yervoy (up to 33% response), but that is through the grapevine.  However, I do know that some of the anti-pd1 trials will not allow prior treatment with Yervoy, so you may want to keep that in mind. 

Best wishes in whatever you decide,

Maria

LynnLuc
                        Participant

I think originally they did not allow prior use of Yervoy, like in my trial ( mine was for surgically resected)…but the sister trial , which if those not NED has an arm with previous Yervoy use…now they are even combining the two ( or so I heard!)

LynnLuc
                          Participant

I think originally they did not allow prior use of Yervoy, like in my trial ( mine was for surgically resected)…but the sister trial , which if those not NED has an arm with previous Yervoy use…now they are even combining the two ( or so I heard!)

LynnLuc
                            Participant

boot2aboot
                              Participant

You have to be HLA_A2 to be on moffitts anti-pd1tial…that leaves a lot of us out in the cold…anti PD-1, depending on the version, is about 35 % effective…that means PR and CRs…i think Yervoy is something like 15%…then there is IL2…5% and Adoptive  Cell Transfer which is rough and tough that includes IL2…numbers are good though something around 30-40% PRs…i would look at Adoptive Cell Transfer and older versions of anti PD1/PDLs…if anti PD1 works, it will do so very fast…or not at all….

boots

boot2aboot
                                Participant

You have to be HLA_A2 to be on moffitts anti-pd1tial…that leaves a lot of us out in the cold…anti PD-1, depending on the version, is about 35 % effective…that means PR and CRs…i think Yervoy is something like 15%…then there is IL2…5% and Adoptive  Cell Transfer which is rough and tough that includes IL2…numbers are good though something around 30-40% PRs…i would look at Adoptive Cell Transfer and older versions of anti PD1/PDLs…if anti PD1 works, it will do so very fast…or not at all….

boots

boot2aboot
                                  Participant

boots

boot2aboot
                                    Participant

boots

boot2aboot
                                      Participant

boots

boot2aboot
                                        Participant

boots

MeNDave
                                        Participant

Hi Deborah,

I have heard that the anti-pd1 trials are showing better results than Yervoy (up to 33% response), but that is through the grapevine.  However, I do know that some of the anti-pd1 trials will not allow prior treatment with Yervoy, so you may want to keep that in mind. 

Maria

MeNDave
                                          Participant

Hi Deborah,

Maria

Rdev01
                                            Participant
                                              I am stage IV and just got out of Merck’s PD-1 MK 3475 trial Phase 1. It seemed to work well first month(some 15% reductions)but stopped for me based on 2nd month scans. I’m now on Zelboraf at 8th day and already am noticing significant reduction in palpable scalp/neck nodules.
                                              Rdev01
                                              Participant
                                                I am stage IV and just got out of Merck’s PD-1 MK 3475 trial Phase 1. It seemed to work well first month(some 15% reductions)but stopped for me based on 2nd month scans. I’m now on Zelboraf at 8th day and already am noticing significant reduction in palpable scalp/neck nodules.
                                                Rdev01
                                                Participant
                                              Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics