The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SSDI – what was your deciding factor?

Forums General Melanoma Community SSDI – what was your deciding factor?

Participant

I'm a Stage IV, long term (NED) survivor who is contemplating leaving the workforce.  I'm over 55 and under 60 and tired of my extremely stressful but lucrative job.  The day to day grind and stress is not and has not been healthy both during the battle and even now at NED.  Corporate cuts, continuously looming layoffs and not being a millenial is starting to really get to me…I know that I am very fortunate to have the job, the healthcare coverage and feel very lucky/blessed to have survived through a lot of surgeries, treatments, etc.  I've been NED for almost 9 years and am only getting annual scans and not on any treatments or meds.  Would I quality for SSDI? 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Charlie S
        Participant

I

As a answer to your final question.

Nope.  Nor should you.

Charlie S

Casitas1
            Participant
              Charlie, you just hit my funny bone!
            Bubbles
            Participant

Wow, just wow, anon!!!!  I have no words….well actually, I do…but probably shouldn't say them!  Jeez!  celeste

shadowace
              Participant

the best way to find out is to call a lawyer who knows about ssi, that is what i did, even though i filed online, got approve in 2 weeks,made sure all my drs were on board with my issues, still have to wait and support myself for 5 months, then the first check comes on the 6th month,  and i have been told ill be on meds of some kind for the rest of my life,  consultation is usually free, 

since u posted as anonymous i will reply as such

congrats on your 9 years ned, you did not post what stage you are

im stage 4 braf pos, currently ned and on meds, getting scan and MRI's twice a year

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Would never be approved for someone not on treatment. Healthy people don't get SSDI.

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics