The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

could someone kindly explain

Forums General Melanoma Community could someone kindly explain

Participant

Hi

please excuse my ignorance, but could someone please explain BRAF and NRAS mutation in laymans terms please. I'm having a lymph node dissection on Wednesday and would like to know what I should ask my consultant. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Tamlin, I am by no means an expert on the subject but the basic ideas as I understand them are as follows. First your tissue that was taken at biopsy is sent out to a lab where they look for the Braf mutation and NRas mutation. If the pathologist find that you have the mutation then it open up options for targeted therapy if you progress to stage 4. Targeted therapy and Immunotherapy are the two best options for stage 4 patients at the present time. If you go to the blog that Celeste ( bubbles ) has you can find the type of drugs that are available and the combinations of targeted therapy drugs that are being given. Some Oncologist start their patients on the targeted therapy drugs, especially when tumor loads are high. While other Oncologist start their patients off on Immunotherapy drugs like Ipi or Pd-1 (Nivo, Pembro). It is still up in the air as to which direction is best, targeted or Immunotherapy first. The lymph node dissection is used to help in the staging process. I wish you the best on Wednesday!!! The drain tube is a real pain in the backside, don't be in any hurry to take it out. I have had both arms done and it is really important to find a good physiotherapist with experience with the possible side effects (Lymphodema) . Ed

Bubbles
            Participant

Hey Tamlin,

Ed gives you some great advice.  See what happens and more smart peeps here can answer your questions as your go along.  He's right about the drain, too.  They suck.  Both armpits done here as well.  2003 and 2007.  But, I'm still here.  You have lot's of options.  SO….given the wish that you weren't here at all…..that's stil a good thing.  Wishing you well.  Celeste

Bubbles
              Participant

Hey Tamlin,

Ed gives you some great advice.  See what happens and more smart peeps here can answer your questions as your go along.  He's right about the drain, too.  They suck.  Both armpits done here as well.  2003 and 2007.  But, I'm still here.  You have lot's of options.  SO….given the wish that you weren't here at all…..that's stil a good thing.  Wishing you well.  Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

Hey Tamlin,

ed williams
                Participant

Hi Tamlin, I am by no means an expert on the subject but the basic ideas as I understand them are as follows. First your tissue that was taken at biopsy is sent out to a lab where they look for the Braf mutation and NRas mutation. If the pathologist find that you have the mutation then it open up options for targeted therapy if you progress to stage 4. Targeted therapy and Immunotherapy are the two best options for stage 4 patients at the present time. If you go to the blog that Celeste ( bubbles ) has you can find the type of drugs that are available and the combinations of targeted therapy drugs that are being given. Some Oncologist start their patients on the targeted therapy drugs, especially when tumor loads are high. While other Oncologist start their patients off on Immunotherapy drugs like Ipi or Pd-1 (Nivo, Pembro). It is still up in the air as to which direction is best, targeted or Immunotherapy first. The lymph node dissection is used to help in the staging process. I wish you the best on Wednesday!!! The drain tube is a real pain in the backside, don't be in any hurry to take it out. I have had both arms done and it is really important to find a good physiotherapist with experience with the possible side effects (Lymphodema) . Ed

ed williams
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics