The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

zelboraf and secondary cancers

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community zelboraf and secondary cancers

Participant

After having an excruciating 9 hour proceedure done to get rid of squamous cell cancer andcosmetic reconstruction, i came across an article that may be of some importance for zelboraf users….

After having an excruciating 9 hour proceedure done to get rid of squamous cell cancer andcosmetic reconstruction, i came across an article that may be of some importance for zelboraf users….

Roche’s Zelboraf for Melanoma Spurs Other Skin Cancer’s Growth, Study Says

Roche Holding AG (ROG)’s melanoma drug Zelboraf speeds growth of another type of skin cancer, researchers said today in a study underscoring the need to test the medicine in combination with a second treatment.

Scientists at the Institute of Cancer Research analyzed DNA in 21 tissue samples from Zelboraf patients who developed cutaneous squamous-cell carcinoma. About 60 percent of the samples had one of two known cancer-causing gene mutations not targeted by the drug, they said in an article published in the New England Journal of Medicine today.

About 15 percent to 30 percent of melanoma patients treated with Zelboraf and other so-called BRAF inhibitors develop non- melanoma skin cancers, the researchers said. The drugs speeds squamous-cell carcinoma in patients who would probably have gotten the cancer anyway, they said.

“It’s acting as an accelerator of the inevitable in patients that are already predisposed to the disease,” said Richard Marais, a professor of molecular oncology at the London- based institute.

Combining Zelboraf with a second type of drug may stem the effect, said Marais, a co-author of the study, in a telephone interview. Using a type of medicine known as a MEK inhibitor to attack the same pathway that stimulates cell growth appeared to block development of the second type of tumor in mice, the researchers said.

Roche began testing Zelboraf, which works by blocking a protein that fuels tumor growth in about half of patients with advanced forms of melanoma, together with a MEK inhibitor known as GDC-0973 in the BRIM7 patient trial last year. The Basel, Switzerland-based drugmaker helped sponsor the institute’s research.

U.S. regulators approved Zelboraf for sale in August. The European Medicines Agencyrecommended the drug be approved last month. Roche is awaiting a final decision from the European Commission.

To contact the reporter on this story: Naomi Kresge in London at [email protected]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Phil Serafino at [email protected]

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Richard_K
        Participant

So sorry to hear about your nine hour proceedure.  I too had a squamous cell carcinoma as a result of Zelboraf. I guess the time for removal/ repair is dependent on the location. Mine was in the area of my left temple and I had it removed with Mohs micrographic surgery. The enitre process was about two hours long but most of that time was spent in the waiting room while a determination was made to see if any more had to be removed.

Dick

boot2aboot
            Participant

Dick,

this was a fast growing squamous that went nearly to the bone..they went in 5 X…i have been reading where Zelboraf users should be tested for other Ras mutations…specifically HRAS…which i have not had done

boots.

NYKaren
              Participant
                Boots, I’m sorry you had to through a 9 hour procedure. It’s hard being the “pioneer” patients–one would think that all this would had all been figured out in clinical trials, and you more than right about some of them not being able to keep up w/articles & studies.
                Take care,
                karen
                NYKaren
                Participant
                  Boots, I’m sorry you had to through a 9 hour procedure. It’s hard being the “pioneer” patients–one would think that all this would had all been figured out in clinical trials, and you more than right about some of them not being able to keep up w/articles & studies.
                  Take care,
                  karen
                  NYKaren
                  Participant
                    Take care,
                    karen
                    boot2aboot
                    Participant

Dick,

this was a fast growing squamous that went nearly to the bone..they went in 5 X…i have been reading where Zelboraf users should be tested for other Ras mutations…specifically HRAS…which i have not had done

boots.

boot2aboot
                      Participant

Dick,

boots.

Richard_K
                      Participant

So sorry to hear about your nine hour proceedure.  I too had a squamous cell carcinoma as a result of Zelboraf. I guess the time for removal/ repair is dependent on the location. Mine was in the area of my left temple and I had it removed with Mohs micrographic surgery. The enitre process was about two hours long but most of that time was spent in the waiting room while a determination was made to see if any more had to be removed.

Dick

Richard_K
                        Participant

Dick

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics