The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf, after the quick result from Keytruda and Tomotherapy

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf, after the quick result from Keytruda and Tomotherapy

Participant
      Hi!
      First of all, I apologize my poor English. I am not a native English speaker but doing my best.

I am here for my mom.
      She is 50yrs old Asian woman and was diagnosed with Melanoma stage III on Christmas eve in 2015. Its undesectable because it's right next to bunch of blood vessels in her neck.

My mom actually visited a dermatology about 10years ago suspecting a rash on the back of her neck is melanoma. But the doctor said it's just not melanoma, and simply removed it with a laser. Now, 10 years later, it turned out that was melanoma.

Now our goal has been to reduce the amount and size of the tumors on her neck lymph nodes so she can undergo an surgical operation.

<The path we have followed – from Jan 2016 to March 2016>

1. She was on a little bit lower doses of Keytruda for the first 6 weeks
         – Keytruda worked really well. 

2. She got 24times of tomotherapy done after Keytruda for 5 weeks. its been only 2 weeks since the last tomotherapy and we are still waiting for the final result.

So as the result of Keytruda and tomotherapy, about 80% of the tumors are gone (in 6weeks)

3. Her oncologist said Keytruda may no longer work because the cancer tissues left are too dense. She recommanded my mom to switch to Zelboraf for a month and see if it works. So my mom is now on Zelboraf(10 days so far) and If it works well she will probably be able to have surgical operation.

Because melanoma is very rare and unfamiliar disease in my country, there is no many highly experienced doctors, no much reading material available for patients, and no patients forum like this.
      I've been translating the posts into my language when I have free time so my mom can read and feel she is not fighting alone. We are inpired and learning a lot here on MRF. So thank you all 🙂

I will keep undating on this thread.

I wish you and your family all the best.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        sister of patient
        Participant

Hi Lin,

I think you are doing an amazing job with the interpretation of all the clinical information you are receiving – since joining this board I've realized that melanoma comes with a 'language' all its own, so "hats off to you."

Secondly, the news of your mother's response to Keytruda is really encouraging!! I hope the new drug does amazing things too and she gets to where she's ready for surgery asap.!! Please do report her progress!

Wishing you both the best!

Barb

Lin P
            Participant
              Barb.

Thank you for the kind words. Anyone would do the same as far as their family is concerned.

The Oncologist also said my mom is showing exceptional result though there are not many clinical outcomes yet. Still it's a question why she wouldn't try more Keytruda on my mom after just three times of injection and switch while it is having an effect.

I will keep updating her progress!

I wish you and your family all the best, too.
              Lin P
              Participant
                Barb.

Thank you for the kind words. Anyone would do the same as far as their family is concerned.

The Oncologist also said my mom is showing exceptional result though there are not many clinical outcomes yet. Still it's a question why she wouldn't try more Keytruda on my mom after just three times of injection and switch while it is having an effect.

Lin P
                Participant
                  Barb.

sister of patient
                Participant

Hi Lin,

I think you are doing an amazing job with the interpretation of all the clinical information you are receiving – since joining this board I've realized that melanoma comes with a 'language' all its own, so "hats off to you."

Secondly, the news of your mother's response to Keytruda is really encouraging!! I hope the new drug does amazing things too and she gets to where she's ready for surgery asap.!! Please do report her progress!

Barb

sister of patient
                  Participant

Hi Lin,

Barb

Lin P
                    Participant

If anyone knows what is good for join pain from Zelboraf, could you please give me some advices?

I'd appreciate it very much.

Lin P
                      Participant

If anyone knows what is good for join pain from Zelboraf, could you please give me some advices?

Lin P
                        Participant

Fen
                          Participant

Lin, the MPIP forum is a great place but I would also suggest using the forum on Melanoma International Foundation http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/ .   You might get information about treatments available in different countries.    Wishing the best to you and your mom.      Fen 

Lin P
                              Participant

Thank you, Fen! It is a great help ☺️

Lin P
                                Participant

Lin P
                                  Participant

Fen
                                  Participant

Lin, the MPIP forum is a great place but I would also suggest using the forum on Melanoma International Foundation http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/ .   You might get information about treatments available in different countries.    Wishing the best to you and your mom.      Fen 

Fen
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics