The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy patients, please welcome me as newest member

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Yervoy patients, please welcome me as newest member

Participant

Hi,

I am a 1 yr survivor of Mucosal Melanoma from my left nasal cavity. Surgery removed tumor, radiation burned my face, and now I am a survivor in Hawaii.

PET scans every 6 months, and now 3rd scan found metastasis in lymph nodes.

Onc wants to start Yervoy, and I meet nurse next Wednesday to discuss. I am a 42 yr old male father, husband, and full time employee. I like to research and know what I'm getting into with treatment.

This forum really helps to let me read others stories and experiences. Thank you!

I hope this immunotherapy shows a good response in my tumors!

Aloha!

If you're bored, take a look at my blog: marcuscancervive.tumblr.com

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        LuckyMan51
        Participant

Hey Marcus,

While you are discussing the Yervoy option make sure you explore anti-Pd1 and some of the combo trials including it. I am currently NED after surgery and Yervoy as anti-Pd1 wasn't available when I was starting treatment as they weren't taking brain mets at that time. I think the anti-Pd1 results have been pretty spectacular and it would be worth exploring. If you can't find a way in now you can always take the Yervoy route and have anti-Pd1 as a plan B. Best wishes for a great response! 

LuckyMan51
          Participant

Hey Marcus,

While you are discussing the Yervoy option make sure you explore anti-Pd1 and some of the combo trials including it. I am currently NED after surgery and Yervoy as anti-Pd1 wasn't available when I was starting treatment as they weren't taking brain mets at that time. I think the anti-Pd1 results have been pretty spectacular and it would be worth exploring. If you can't find a way in now you can always take the Yervoy route and have anti-Pd1 as a plan B. Best wishes for a great response! 

hawaii marcus
              Participant

Thanks! That is exactly my plan. Yervoy, and then PD-1, but PD-1 is not available in Hawaii yet.  I spoke to my 2nd oncologist at UCLA where I applied for a clinical trial, but was not qualified because my tumors are too small. RECIST 1.1 requires 15 mm and I am only 10 mm, so here we are.

Back in Hawaii with family and at home about to start Yervoy, should I be unsuccessful, or not tolerate, I hope to go back to Los Angeles for some trial with PD-1. And maybe someday it will be on expanded access here in Hawaii.

Thank you again for your repsonse and alerting me to PD-1 as a plan B!

Aloha!

hawaii marcus
                Participant

Thanks! That is exactly my plan. Yervoy, and then PD-1, but PD-1 is not available in Hawaii yet.  I spoke to my 2nd oncologist at UCLA where I applied for a clinical trial, but was not qualified because my tumors are too small. RECIST 1.1 requires 15 mm and I am only 10 mm, so here we are.

Back in Hawaii with family and at home about to start Yervoy, should I be unsuccessful, or not tolerate, I hope to go back to Los Angeles for some trial with PD-1. And maybe someday it will be on expanded access here in Hawaii.

Aloha!

hawaii marcus
                  Participant

Aloha!

LuckyMan51
                  Participant

Hey Marcus,

Gene_S
                    Participant

Hello Marcus,

I wish you much luck with your journey and just wanted to let you know my husband was a Yervoy responder.  He was stage IV and started the clinical trial of Yervoy and GM-CSF in March 2011.  He became NED in October of 2012 and remained in the trial on maintenance doses every 12 weeks after the inital 4 in 12 weeks.  He dropped out of the clinical trial in December 2013.  You can read more on him in his profile.

Good luck,

Judy (lving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

hawaii marcus
                        Participant

Thank you Judy for your reply and support! Good to hear Gene is NED, I hope he stays that way!

Aloha,

Marcus

hawaii marcus
                          Participant

Thank you Judy for your reply and support! Good to hear Gene is NED, I hope he stays that way!

Aloha,

Marcus

hawaii marcus
                            Participant

Aloha,

Marcus

Gene_S
                            Participant

Hello Marcus,

I wish you much luck with your journey and just wanted to let you know my husband was a Yervoy responder.  He was stage IV and started the clinical trial of Yervoy and GM-CSF in March 2011.  He became NED in October of 2012 and remained in the trial on maintenance doses every 12 weeks after the inital 4 in 12 weeks.  He dropped out of the clinical trial in December 2013.  You can read more on him in his profile.

Good luck,

Gene_S
                              Participant

Hello Marcus,

Good luck,

BrianP
                                Participant

Hey Marcus,

Good luck with the Yervoy.  As you probably have found out on your own, many tolerate Ipi quite well.  Hopefully you will be in that group.  Probably the most common side effect with Ipi is fatigue.  There has been some pretty severe fatigue reported but I think that's not common.  I'm sure you are aware of the colitis side effects and the importance of staying on top of diarhea.  One side effect that I try to tell folks about is the hypophysitis side effect.  Basically that is another autoimmune side effect where the pituitary gland becomes inflammed and swollen.  In my case in started as what felt like a mild sinus infection but over the course of a couple weeks became all over my head and quite painful.  The problem with this side effect is that in can cause permanent damage to the pituitary gland so you want to catch it early.  Let your care givers know if you have any type of persistent headache lasting much more than a day or two.  I would recommend drinking lots of water to reduce the possibility (or at least help in the event of) liver toxicities.  I think you have a good plan of trying the Ipi first and if that doesn't work move onto PD-1. 

Take care,

Brian

BrianP
                                  Participant

Hey Marcus,

Good luck with the Yervoy.  As you probably have found out on your own, many tolerate Ipi quite well.  Hopefully you will be in that group.  Probably the most common side effect with Ipi is fatigue.  There has been some pretty severe fatigue reported but I think that's not common.  I'm sure you are aware of the colitis side effects and the importance of staying on top of diarhea.  One side effect that I try to tell folks about is the hypophysitis side effect.  Basically that is another autoimmune side effect where the pituitary gland becomes inflammed and swollen.  In my case in started as what felt like a mild sinus infection but over the course of a couple weeks became all over my head and quite painful.  The problem with this side effect is that in can cause permanent damage to the pituitary gland so you want to catch it early.  Let your care givers know if you have any type of persistent headache lasting much more than a day or two.  I would recommend drinking lots of water to reduce the possibility (or at least help in the event of) liver toxicities.  I think you have a good plan of trying the Ipi first and if that doesn't work move onto PD-1. 

Take care,

Brian

BrianP
                                    Participant

Hey Marcus,

Take care,

Brian

hawaii marcus
                                        Participant

Thank you Brian for all the tips of what to look out for during Ipi treatments. I got the packet from the Yervoy website, and that has the side effects listed on many pages.

But hearing it directly from you with even more details is helpful! Thanks!

I am hearing about expanded access to Merck MK3475, and that is good news. Currently, PD-1 is not available in Hawaii, as of yet! My doctors are talking about Compassionate Care possibly, after we see how I respond to Ipi. First things first, I guess!

Aloha,

Marcus

hawaii marcus
                                          Participant

Thank you Brian for all the tips of what to look out for during Ipi treatments. I got the packet from the Yervoy website, and that has the side effects listed on many pages.

I am hearing about expanded access to Merck MK3475, and that is good news. Currently, PD-1 is not available in Hawaii, as of yet! My doctors are talking about Compassionate Care possibly, after we see how I respond to Ipi. First things first, I guess!

Aloha,

Marcus

hawaii marcus
                                            Participant

Aloha,

Marcus

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics