The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Wow. Didn’t expect this

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Wow. Didn’t expect this

Participant

So here it is almost 2 am and I am in my hospital room.  Tuesday I had great news, and great scans.  Friday afternoon I develop a fever and take some aleve and start an Antibiotic and go to bed. Saturday is much better but discover a rash developing on my side.  Sunday the rash has spread and is warm to the touch. Go to er after talking with my oncologist. My skin got infected and it made it to my blood stream. Oncologist on call says that due to my status being treated with opinion/Nicole combo and hypophisitis adrenal insufficiency my immune system is  compromised. I have some dry skin which probably made it easier to get infected along with being in and out of health institutions.  Then I also discover that the wing of the hospital I am put in for my infection is the cancer wing.   I know I have not been down the roads that many of you have traveled and some of the statements I have made in this post reveal that but this was a little bit of a slap in the face reminder to me that I have cancer and even though I am getting good results, it's still there and it's effects are real and will affect me the rest of my life. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        UBContributor
        Participant

let's think "its just infection. anyone treated with cancer treatment is very suseptible to infection. congrats with good scans

jennunicorn
            Participant

On immunotherapy we are not susceptible to infection in the way cancer patients on chemotherapy are. Our immune system is not compromised just because we are going through treatment… but,  side effects like what Aaron is experiencing can happen and that could then create a compromised immune system. 

Aaron, so sorry you have to be in the hospital and get a big fat cancer reminder slapped in your face. Hope you start to feel better soon so you can go home. 

Brittany1999
              Participant

Your paperwork will say "Diagnosis: Metastatic Melanoma" that is why they placed you in the cancer area. Think of it as being a VIP at the hospital. Even if you are there for a stubbed toe the paperwork will show that you have an active diagnosis for melanoma so they will make sure 'cancer aware' clinicians are working your case.

Same has happened to me. The nurse showed me my paperwork and said 'I know this isn't why you are here this time, but it is your active diagnosis on file.

Viewing 0 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics