The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

worried

Forums General Melanoma Community worried

Participant

Hi, I'm new to the forum since it's 2 weeks that i have been completely stressed out about a biopsy i had on July 27. They told be the results would be available in 3-4 weeks … today I got a letter in the mail saying my appointment is on September 7 th !!! This is 6 weeks before I will hear back and I can already anticipate the next 4 weeks of waiting are going to be worse then the last 2.

Attaching a photo does not seem to be working but is it possible that it is nothing ? Would I feel something specific if it something more advanced? Any advise on what I should pay attention to would help.

Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        John.snow
        Participant

forgot some details…looking over photos from the last years it seems to have grown from about 2 mm to about 5-6 mm… the color is varied with light brown and some black… 

jennunicorn
          Participant

Call and get the results, you shouldn't have to wait so long to get results. They can't refuse to tell you over the phone, but, if they won't tell you over the phone then tell them you are going there to pick up your pathology report in person, they are YOUR records and you have a right to them.

Kootenay Kid
              Participant

Agreed, ask for a copy of your pathology report. In Canada pathology reports take up to 10 business days = 2 weeks. Make an appointment with your doc to review results. After surgery, you can also ask for a copy of the surgical report. It's quite interesting to read the details. Keep all copies in a binder & take them with you if you're travelling as digital records are often restricted to particular geographic areas. You can ask for copies of any medical tests (CT scans, blood work, etc.) Look up any medical terms. I find I can usually connect the dots & understand most of it.  Another option is sharing this info with a trusted medically savvy friend if you want more info than your doc is providing.

Sharon93065
              Participant

My friend just had a biopsy on a mole that had changed colors and it took exactly 7 days for them to call and tell her it was benign.  My melanoma (the first biopsy) took a couple of days.  The plastic surgeion who later took out a hunk of my back mailed a precise report later that i covered with  my GP.  Is this your first mole biopsy?  Definately should not take more than a week.

John.snow
                  Participant

Yes first mole biopsy, that is why I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks to all for your feedback…. I know there are people on these boards that have actual things to worry about versus my anxiety over a biopsy that will hopefully be nothing. Trying to stay positive but the paranoia gets the better of me sometimes and dissecting years of photos to try and understand how it has evolved is not helping 🙁

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics