The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Waiting on Biopsy results

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Waiting on Biopsy results

Participant

I dont have a history of Melanoma but I do have a history of a few moderately atypical moles.  I have had 9 moles removed over teh past 6 years.  Three of them were moderate and required further excision.  The others ended up being either normal or mildly atypical.  I know that atypical nevi may never turn into melanoma and you are more likely to find melanoma in a new lesion rather than an existing one.

I am 36 years old, male somewhat fair skin and blonde hair and blue eyes.  No family history of melanoma but on my fathers side, somewhat "moley".  In total I probably have between 30-50 moles.  Most on my lower half, with a few scattered on my back and a couple on my chest.

I have spot on my stomach that has been there for as long as I can remember,  It was always a light tan/almost yellow pigmented symmetrical spot.  I say spot because I'm not even sure it's a mole.  Anyway, 18 months ago I damaged that spot on accident when I decided it would be to use nair on my chest/stomach.  No problems with the first application but I added a second application…..after I took a shower to rise the first application…..HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, the burning was unreal…..About a few hours later, I noticed that pigmented area was red in color and had developed two ruptures inside the pigment.  A little blood etc.  It passed a skin check in Late July of 2014 but at the time was still healing and I'm not sure how long the doctor really took with it.  It eventually healed with a bit or redness to it, most likely scar tissue.  

A few days before christmas this year, my anxiety was on high alert but was due to other things going on in my life.  Somehow I became fixated on this spot.  My wife said that it looked no different than it did every month before that.  I'm not the one to wait things out and I immediately got in with a Dermotologist the next day.  The PA told me immediately that since I'm fair skinned her policy is to remove anything that looks questionable/irregular.  I told her about the history of the spot and what happened and she told me she was leaning towards it being okay but eyes can only tell you so much, which I agreed with no doubt.  I was told it could take two weeks to hear anything back and will only hear back if something is wrong (atypia, skin cancer).

I knew i was due for a skin check again but I decided to stop using the dermatologist chain of offices I was using and look for someone that is affiliated with centers that deal with skin cancers etc.  I know I dont have the history of skin cancer but I wanted to deal with a dermatologist that knows what to look for. I have somewhat of an increased chance due to the atypical moles I've already had removed.  I found someone who is affiliated with Robert Wood Johnson hospital in NJ.  I went for a skin check a few days ago and to my surprise I didnt have anything to remove.  Everything a had on me was normal except for one slightly mild atypical mole.  They used a new dermoscope that has a big lens in the middle and LED lights around it to better aid the doctor in looking at lesions.  That was a first for me.  

He saw the area that the other office removed the spot from and I told him I actually had pictures of it.  One from when I damaged it with nair and others from the last week.  He looked at the picture and told me wasn't even sure it was a mole and remarked that he didn't think it was melanoma either.  He also said a picture can only do so much as well.  

I guess I'm rambling here but in general do biopsies take that long?  two weeks?  I have to imagine if it were something malignant they would know sooner and let me know sooner.  My anxiety is getting the better of me here.  I've enclosed links with the picture of the spot that shows when I damaged it 18 months ago and what it looks like now under normal lighting and flash lighting from a camera.

If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know.  I know a lot of you are dealing with something way more concerning than what I am dealing with.  Im just a 36 year old guy with an amazing 3 1/2 year old daughter who wants to stay around for as long as God lets me.

From July 2014 – Damaged spot [URL=http://s837.photobucket.com/user/rlukas79/media/July%202014%20skin%20damage.jpg.html][IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz292/rlukas79/July%202014%20skin%20damage.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

December 2015 [URL=http://s837.photobucket.com/user/rlukas79/media/december%202015%20heavy%20flash.jpg.html][IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz292/rlukas79/december%202015%20heavy%20flash.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s837.photobucket.com/user/rlukas79/media/december%202015%20heavy%20flash.jpg.html][IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz292/rlukas79/december%202015%20heavy%20flash.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The size is just about 6mm

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
          Donnasue0611
          Participant

I have never had melanoma either…but several atypicals and hyperplasias. It has been my experience…that my Derm calls me faster if it's atypical. I didn't understand at first. But he finally explained it to me. And this time…was the worst one I've had…and he called me within 24 hours. 

Rlukas79
            Participant

I actually just looked up the place i went to.  they said they do in house pathology and have dermopathologists on staff that can provide quick turnaround if needed.  I'm assuming if they thought what was removed was cancerous, I would have a quicker turnaround.  I'm assuming other pigmented lesions that are not of high concern take up to two weeks t be processed.  Like I said, I'm assuming here.  I had the spot removed on 12/23 at 11am in the morning.

I'm just looking for positives right now, to quell the anxiety….

Janner
              Participant

Things will likely be slower this time of year with all types of staff off for holidays.  I'm sure most labs are slower than normal.

it isn't something to worry about until you get a diagnosis.  Pre-worry has never helped anyone and researching the worst at this time is pointless.  I'd stay off the internet and focus on…. New Years resolutions or anything fun. 

Rlukas79
                Participant

So my biopsy results aren't back yet as of close of business today, the biopsy was taken at 11am on 12/23/15. Taking into the whole holiday account I'm probably not going to find anything out until next week.  My anxiety is up and down.  The easy thing to say is don't be anxious until you get the results.  Easier said than done.

The spot (it wasn't refered to as a mole) had been there for several years at most, light bown in color and only until i damaged it with a double application of nair and loffah did it change.  The change was that it ruptured inside the macule area ans turned bright red due the chemical burn.  The derm i went to is known to look at patients like cash registers as opposed to patients (they literally have a chain of offices that are in NJ, PA, VA and Texas.  She removed it because I was fair skinned and she referred to it as irregular,,,but leaning towards it being okay since it hadnt changed shape or size and only real change was when I damaged it.  That actually passed a skin cancer screening in August f 2014. I've posted links to the pctures here showing when it was damaged and how it healed,  but the other non irregular  features were obvious symetrical borders and the margins from the  border to the red area inside the spot were even all around.  The size was about 6mm.  Always had a light brown, even red tinge to it.  The reason I had it removed………anxiety related from a totally different issues made me fixate on it and voila, the next day I was in teh derms office, hoping they would say it's not a problem but that didnt happen.

After that visit, the following week on 12/30/15 I went to a new dermatologist.  Someone affilaited with Robert Wood Johnson/Rutgers in NJ.  They couldnt fine anything to remove.  They don't eye anything up either, they use new generation dermoscopes that magnify 10x and illuminate anything under the skin to get a better view of the lesion structure. So I was happy about that.  I told him about the spot I just had biopsied and showed him the picture of it.  It was a close up picture that detailed pretty good.  He remarked that the color variagation isnt there, it's flat, symmetrical and the redness aligns with a picture I showed him from when i damaged the spot 18 months ago.  He didnt think it was a mole and remarked that it wasn't likely melanoma either.

Anyone would probably feel better at that point….not me.  Getting the results will be my closure.   Just a general question, when skin biopsies go through pathology, and the dermopathologist sees something malignant, they dont throw those reports in a bin to be sent back to a dermatologist a week later do they?  I would imagine they would most likely get a hold of the dermatologist as soon as possibe……This office (Dermone) advertises that they do everything in house so they don't send away samples and can get results quickly.

I can't fathom some place would make anyone wait 2 1/2 to 3 weeks to tell them something is malignant….or am i bing totally naive here?

Rlukas79
                  Participant

Finally got my results.  To my surprise it came back severly atypical.  I'm going to have my new derm take a look at the pathology report and request the slides.  But i know the deal, further excision etc.

Rlukas79
                    Participant

Finally got my results.  To my surprise it came back severly atypical.  I'm going to have my new derm take a look at the pathology report and request the slides.  But i know the deal, further excision etc.

Rlukas79
                      Participant

Rlukas79
                        Participant

So my biopsy results aren't back yet as of close of business today, the biopsy was taken at 11am on 12/23/15. Taking into the whole holiday account I'm probably not going to find anything out until next week.  My anxiety is up and down.  The easy thing to say is don't be anxious until you get the results.  Easier said than done.

The spot (it wasn't refered to as a mole) had been there for several years at most, light bown in color and only until i damaged it with a double application of nair and loffah did it change.  The change was that it ruptured inside the macule area ans turned bright red due the chemical burn.  The derm i went to is known to look at patients like cash registers as opposed to patients (they literally have a chain of offices that are in NJ, PA, VA and Texas.  She removed it because I was fair skinned and she referred to it as irregular,,,but leaning towards it being okay since it hadnt changed shape or size and only real change was when I damaged it.  That actually passed a skin cancer screening in August f 2014. I've posted links to the pctures here showing when it was damaged and how it healed,  but the other non irregular  features were obvious symetrical borders and the margins from the  border to the red area inside the spot were even all around.  The size was about 6mm.  Always had a light brown, even red tinge to it.  The reason I had it removed………anxiety related from a totally different issues made me fixate on it and voila, the next day I was in teh derms office, hoping they would say it's not a problem but that didnt happen.

After that visit, the following week on 12/30/15 I went to a new dermatologist.  Someone affilaited with Robert Wood Johnson/Rutgers in NJ.  They couldnt fine anything to remove.  They don't eye anything up either, they use new generation dermoscopes that magnify 10x and illuminate anything under the skin to get a better view of the lesion structure. So I was happy about that.  I told him about the spot I just had biopsied and showed him the picture of it.  It was a close up picture that detailed pretty good.  He remarked that the color variagation isnt there, it's flat, symmetrical and the redness aligns with a picture I showed him from when i damaged the spot 18 months ago.  He didnt think it was a mole and remarked that it wasn't likely melanoma either.

Anyone would probably feel better at that point….not me.  Getting the results will be my closure.   Just a general question, when skin biopsies go through pathology, and the dermopathologist sees something malignant, they dont throw those reports in a bin to be sent back to a dermatologist a week later do they?  I would imagine they would most likely get a hold of the dermatologist as soon as possibe……This office (Dermone) advertises that they do everything in house so they don't send away samples and can get results quickly.

I can't fathom some place would make anyone wait 2 1/2 to 3 weeks to tell them something is malignant….or am i bing totally naive here?

Rlukas79
                          Participant

Janner
                            Participant

Things will likely be slower this time of year with all types of staff off for holidays.  I'm sure most labs are slower than normal.

it isn't something to worry about until you get a diagnosis.  Pre-worry has never helped anyone and researching the worst at this time is pointless.  I'd stay off the internet and focus on…. New Years resolutions or anything fun. 

Janner
                              Participant

Rlukas79
                                Participant

I actually just looked up the place i went to.  they said they do in house pathology and have dermopathologists on staff that can provide quick turnaround if needed.  I'm assuming if they thought what was removed was cancerous, I would have a quicker turnaround.  I'm assuming other pigmented lesions that are not of high concern take up to two weeks t be processed.  Like I said, I'm assuming here.  I had the spot removed on 12/23 at 11am in the morning.

Rlukas79
                                  Participant

Donnasue0611
                                    Participant

I have never had melanoma either…but several atypicals and hyperplasias. It has been my experience…that my Derm calls me faster if it's atypical. I didn't understand at first. But he finally explained it to me. And this time…was the worst one I've had…and he called me within 24 hours. 

Donnasue0611
                                      Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics