The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Very Interesting Findings On Immuno Therapy

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Very Interesting Findings On Immuno Therapy

Keymaster

Your gut microbes may give melanoma treatment a boost
      Published Friday 5 January 2018
      By Catharine Paddock PhD
      Fact checked by Jasmin Collier

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320536.php?iacp

Having the right balance between good and bad microbes in the gut may improve the likelihood that immunotherapy successfully treats melanoma, which is the most aggressive and dangerous form of skin cancer.

This was the conclusion that researchers from the University of Chicago, IL, came to after they found much higher levels of specific bacteria in the stool samples of people with melanoma who responded to immunotherapy, compared with those who did not respond to the treatment.
      Among the "good" gut bacteria that the team found to be abundant in those individuals who responded to "PD-1 blockade" immunotherapy were Enterococcus faecium, Bifidobacterium longum, and Collinsella aerofaciens.
      The scientists found that having higher levels of these strains of bacteria in the gut seemed to increase penetration of immune system T cells into the microenvironment of tumors and boost their ability to kill cancer cells.
      In the journal Science, they note how the people who did not respond to the immunotherapy also had an "imbalance in gut flora composition, which correlated with impaired immune cell activity."

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        mjanssentx
        Participant

Rob – I find these results extremely interesting…but also not new.  I have never been much of a believer that you can cure cancer by eating certain foods type guy…but this research seems different.

I really hope the medical profession pays attention to it and gives it a "try".  It may only be statistical correlation…but if there is any causation…then it could be a super easier and cheap multiplier of in the immuno drugs.

All the best…Michel

Janner
          Participant

I recently finished reading a book titled:  I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life.  Book by Ed Yong.  Interesting stuff about the history and research about microbes and what we're just starting to figure out.  And while it isn't specifically related to cancer, it does touch upon this subject.

Bubbles
            Participant

I've been posting data on this topic since 2015.  This last post links to many others:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2018/01/microbes-againand-how-they-may-be.html  

Wishing you all my best.  Celeste

ed williams
              Participant

I find this and other recent articles like the one from Jenn Largo of MD Anderson interesting but crap from 42 patients only shows a possible link, now can they get funding to run a bigger trial that can prove the concept. I don't think it would be hard to get patients to volunteer but how would they set up the trial? Are they planning on using the results as a biomarker like the guy in Chicago is doing or are they going to try to learn how to control the environment and make changes to improve outcomes of Immunotherapy drugs?

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics