The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Updating on interferon treatment & insurance issues…

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Updating on interferon treatment & insurance issues…

Participant

Thought I'd share an update since I really appreciate reading present and past feedback on various treatments.  My husband (stage 3B) is on his fourth and final week of high-dose interferon.   I mentioned here at the start that his side effects have been fairly manageable.  Based on all I read, I was prepared for him to be nearly out of commission.  In reality he does work each day ~ and as a dairy farmer, it's not a desk job. 😉  

Thought I'd share an update since I really appreciate reading present and past feedback on various treatments.  My husband (stage 3B) is on his fourth and final week of high-dose interferon.   I mentioned here at the start that his side effects have been fairly manageable.  Based on all I read, I was prepared for him to be nearly out of commission.  In reality he does work each day ~ and as a dairy farmer, it's not a desk job. 😉  

Mondays ~ the first day of treatment each week ~ have been the most difficult.  He's had a couple of instances in which he was extremely nauseated and gripped with a severe headache.  Generally, though, his side effects are on par with a low-grade flu.  He previously functioned just fine on six hours of sleep each night.  Now, he's typically in bed by 8 pm, sleeps 10-11 hours, and naps for an hour or two in the afternoon.  He's fatigued, has lost 10 pounds, and is what I'd describe as listless.  Not depressed per se, but just not himself.  Maybe those of you who have experienced the treatment ~ either directly or indirectly, as a caretaker ~ know what I mean.

His ANC (Absolute Neutrophil Count) numbers (white blood cells) have been decreasing, which is to be expected.  But today it was low enough to require a dosage reduction, so he'll finish out this last week at half of what he has been receiving.  Then he'll move on to sub-q injections three times per week.

Despite persistent "encouragement" on my part, our insurance will not pay *anything* toward the injection doses.  Paying for a drug to be administered intravaneously but not paying for it to be self-administered sub-cutaneously.  Where's the logic?!  Through the clinic, we were able to register for the ACT Patient Assistance program.  It was strangely quick and easy to be accepted into this program, and the interferon will be sent directly to our home.  Something about the whole thing doesn't feel quite right, like there are strings attached that I don't know about yet or something.  I don't know if it's a big tax write-off for Merck or what?   Anyway, at this point, it's all we've got.

One thing I'm realizing, as he receives care now at our local hospital, is how exemplary was the attention we received at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance and University of Washington Medicine.  That's where we went to immediately his diagnosis, where he received his surgeries and was under the care of surgical and medical oncologists whose specialty is melanoma.  I absolutely felt we were in the best hands possible, people who are experts in this field and whose knowledge I could trust.  Our home hospital is very, very good, but the reality is the oncoloists there don't typically deal with melanoma.  They're good people, well-educated and well-trained, but they ~ and the staff at the infusion oncology clinic ~ are far more familiar with other cancers.  I therefore feel a lot less comfortable and a lot more weary, always wondering if they really know what's best. 

Anyway.  I'm rambling, I suppose because this is my outlet to talk to people who really know about this disease.  I'm always reading here, cheering for all of you. 

Warmly,

Colleen

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mandi0280
        Participant

Was reading your post and just wondering….how does the ACT program work? Are they paying for the injections in full & you don't have to pay anything?

Thanks

Mandi

Mandi0280
          Participant

Was reading your post and just wondering….how does the ACT program work? Are they paying for the injections in full & you don't have to pay anything?

Thanks

Mandi

Mandi0280
            Participant

Thanks

Mandi

POW
              Participant

Hi, Colleen-

Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about you and your husband and wondering how things are going. I am delighted that he is still able to work. He must be one tough cookie! I am also delighted that you are able to get the interferon through the ACT program– kudos to you for pulling that off. I'm not surprised about the sleeping; my brother does a lot of sleeping, too. The body needs a lot of rest and sleep to fight the cancer and to recover from the treatment so I hope you're not too worried about that.

I sounds as though you and your husband are handling everything extremely well. I will keep you both in my prayers. 

POW
                Participant

Hi, Colleen-

Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about you and your husband and wondering how things are going. I am delighted that he is still able to work. He must be one tough cookie! I am also delighted that you are able to get the interferon through the ACT program– kudos to you for pulling that off. I'm not surprised about the sleeping; my brother does a lot of sleeping, too. The body needs a lot of rest and sleep to fight the cancer and to recover from the treatment so I hope you're not too worried about that.

I sounds as though you and your husband are handling everything extremely well. I will keep you both in my prayers. 

POW
                  Participant

Hi, Colleen-

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics