The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update: hospice

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Update: hospice

Participant

Just an update.  we took my mom to hospice today.  history: spot removed in 2003, diagnosed at stage iv in June 2011 by a bump under the biopsy site and a bump in her lymph node.  Turns out it was in both lungs, her small intestine, and her brain (in addition to her lymph node and leg).  All under 3 cm.  She had SRS for a < 1 cm lesion in her brain in the fall, then a craniotomy in December for a brain lesion that was bleeding.  She was bleeding internally from the small intestine tumor, needing 2 units blood weekly, and was risking an obstruc

Just an update.  we took my mom to hospice today.  history: spot removed in 2003, diagnosed at stage iv in June 2011 by a bump under the biopsy site and a bump in her lymph node.  Turns out it was in both lungs, her small intestine, and her brain (in addition to her lymph node and leg).  All under 3 cm.  She had SRS for a < 1 cm lesion in her brain in the fall, then a craniotomy in December for a brain lesion that was bleeding.  She was bleeding internally from the small intestine tumor, needing 2 units blood weekly, and was risking an obstruction, so she went ahead with a bowel resection January 5. 

I never imagined my mother would never come home.  She suffered so many horrible complications following the bowel surgery.  my understanding is that she developed a bowel leak/fistula so they had to put a drain in and she wears a sac that drains out her bile.  They were unable to fix it despite two endoscopic procedures that are apparently cutting edge at SK (they go in endoscopically and put in these high tech clips that close the tissues and dissolve after the hole heals).  totally neat (if it worked).

she received the most excellent, caring, compassionate care at SK.  i cannot recommend it highly enough.

Anyway, we had scans this week that showed that the cancer recurred in the brain at the spot where it had been before, as well as multiple other spots in her brain, and also went to her stomach and adrenal glands, where it had not been previously.  SK docs told us they would do whatever we wanted to do, but we knew it was time.  my mother expressed two weeks ago that she did not want any more brain surgery, and WBT is crap, from what i understand.

the new brain mets are what's going to kill her.  she's not all there anymore, and this has happened within the past week to week and a half.  the doctor told us that in essence, because the tumors were in the frontal lobes (bilateral) she was essentially experiencing a lobotomy (i was a little surprised he used that word but hey, i guess it gets the point across).  she can answer yes and no questions (are you in pain being the most important one) but is totally iffy on other stuff.  she recognizes us and can tell us she loves us, for which i continue to be grateful. 

i feel a little weird.  i seem to naturally fall into talking to her as though she's a three year old. she doesn't answer anything other than yes or no questions.  she *seems* to like it when i will say a funny rhyming phrase to her, and she will say it back.  for example, we were talking about it snowing today and i said, "oh no, look at the snow" kind of to myself, just to be silly.  I then turned to her and said it and her face all lights up and she repeats, "oh no, look at the snow." 

eh.  cancer sucks.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Hi Im very sorry to hear that your mum in now in hospice. You have obviously been a wonderful carer and I'm only sorry that you are going through this. My dad is still on Zelboraf and responding but I know one day I will be in your shoes, and it really scares me. All I can say is take care of yourself and I hope that your mum's departure will be a peaceful and painless one.

Thinking of you and your loved ones.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
          Participant

Hi Im very sorry to hear that your mum in now in hospice. You have obviously been a wonderful carer and I'm only sorry that you are going through this. My dad is still on Zelboraf and responding but I know one day I will be in your shoes, and it really scares me. All I can say is take care of yourself and I hope that your mum's departure will be a peaceful and painless one.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
            Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

lhaley
              Participant

I am so sorry that this is so difficult during this journey.  Keep the good memories and hope your mom has no pain.

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

I am so sorry that this is so difficult during this journey.  Keep the good memories and hope your mom has no pain.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Linda

dearfoam
                    Participant

I'm not sure how I missed your posts last fall. I was in a very similar situation with my dad, the MM being an all of a sudden things for us. I can totally sympathize with the lobotomy effect. But you know, I just tried to continue with whatever would light his face up, no matter how simple it was. He was happy. I just wanted to send support your way, and hope the support from hospice brings you all peace, comfort, and relief.

Best,

DF

NYKaren
                        Participant

I am so very sorry that you both are going through this.  You are in my thoughts,

karen

dearfoam
                          Participant

Thank you, Karen.

dearfoam
                            Participant

Thank you, Karen.

dearfoam
                              Participant

Thank you, Karen.

NYKaren
                                Participant

I am so very sorry that you both are going through this.  You are in my thoughts,

karen

NYKaren
                                  Participant

karen

dearfoam
                                  Participant

I'm not sure how I missed your posts last fall. I was in a very similar situation with my dad, the MM being an all of a sudden things for us. I can totally sympathize with the lobotomy effect. But you know, I just tried to continue with whatever would light his face up, no matter how simple it was. He was happy. I just wanted to send support your way, and hope the support from hospice brings you all peace, comfort, and relief.

Best,

DF

dearfoam
                                    Participant

Best,

DF

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics