The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update

Participant

Hi everyone. I registered and became apart of this community earlier this year after being diagnosed at stage IIIA. Just thought if drop in and post an update. I also have a question I'll ask below.

So far I had the melanoma removed from the outer part of my left ankle last December (2013). Skin graphed the area 2 weeks later and had lymph nodes removed out of my left groin as the SNB found micro mets. The surgery to remove the nodes (10) was back in Feb and all ten nodes came back wnegative, along with a Jan pet scan that showed NED. After all that the only option given to me was interferon so I opted to do the 12 months. I was only able to tolerate the high dosage for three out of the four weeks. The Dr came me a two week break and now I'm on my third month of once a week shots. My weeks are up and down but I've listened to the wonderful advice here and opted to do my shots Sundays, just before bed so I can sleep most of the side effects off.  The two most common things I've noticed is the lack of energy and I tend to develope a lot of mucus.

My question for all of you is if you have ever been directed to drink Alkaline water. Ive done some research and there are many claims that alkaline water contains cancer fighting properties. 

For those who have tried it, could you pass on your recommendations. 

Thanks for reading.

mike

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Ginger8888
        Participant

I did the 30 day Hd interferon with just a little fatigue but it didn't work for me and am now on Yervoy..Haven't heard of the Akaline water though but i will look into it, thanks and good luck..

Ginger8888
          Participant

I did the 30 day Hd interferon with just a little fatigue but it didn't work for me and am now on Yervoy..Haven't heard of the Akaline water though but i will look into it, thanks and good luck..

Ginger8888
            Participant

kalisama
              Participant

Hi Mike,

Yes, I have been directed to drink alkaline water. Not by my oncologist but by a friend who is a surgeon. I figured heck, it can't hurt! I use a product called Alka Vision Plasma PH and add a few drops to every glass of water. Do not add too much I learned, as you'll start detoxing hard and that can be uncomfortable.

I'm not an expert and I have no science to back this up, but it seems like such a benign addition to my protocol at this point. You can buy PH strips to measure your alkaline/acid balance in any drug store. 

Hope this helps,

kali

kalisama
                  Participant

ps – the drops i mentioned are available on amazon

JC
                    Participant

could you just stir in some baking soda with tap water?

JC
                      Participant

JC
                        Participant

kalisama
                          Participant

kalisama
                            Participant

michaelinsocal
                              Participant

Hi Kali, 

First off, thanks for the reply. I found the drops you mentioned on amazon and after reading the good reviews I decided to order some. 

I noticed the bottle size is only two ounces, how long does that typically last? Do you use the drops continuesly or periodically. I'm thinking of ordering the test strips so I can measure how out of balance I am, if at all.

Again, thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Mike

michaelinsocal
                                Participant

Hi Kali, 

First off, thanks for the reply. I found the drops you mentioned on amazon and after reading the good reviews I decided to order some. 

I noticed the bottle size is only two ounces, how long does that typically last? Do you use the drops continuesly or periodically. I'm thinking of ordering the test strips so I can measure how out of balance I am, if at all.

Mike

michaelinsocal
                                  Participant

Hi Kali, 

Mike

kalisama
                                    Participant

You're welcome Mike, and as another has posted YES, always check with your treating physician before adding any supplements to your protocol. To that same poster, we're not discussing Kangan water or any other fancy woo-woo gizmo. we're discussing potassium carbonate, potassium hydroxide and sodium carbonate supplementation, which can alkalize the system.

A 2  oz bottle lasts me many months. I add 2-3 drops to every 2-3 pints of water I drink throughout the day. Again, check with your physician and if you get the go ahead, intorduce these drops slowly as they can create unpleasant detox effects as i mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps, 
                                      kali

kalisama
                                      Participant

You're welcome Mike, and as another has posted YES, always check with your treating physician before adding any supplements to your protocol. To that same poster, we're not discussing Kangan water or any other fancy woo-woo gizmo. we're discussing potassium carbonate, potassium hydroxide and sodium carbonate supplementation, which can alkalize the system.

A 2  oz bottle lasts me many months. I add 2-3 drops to every 2-3 pints of water I drink throughout the day. Again, check with your physician and if you get the go ahead, intorduce these drops slowly as they can create unpleasant detox effects as i mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps, 
                                        kali

kalisama
                                        Participant

Hope this helps, 
                                          kali

kalisama
                                        Participant

Hi Mike,

Yes, I have been directed to drink alkaline water. Not by my oncologist but by a friend who is a surgeon. I figured heck, it can't hurt! I use a product called Alka Vision Plasma PH and add a few drops to every glass of water. Do not add too much I learned, as you'll start detoxing hard and that can be uncomfortable.

I'm not an expert and I have no science to back this up, but it seems like such a benign addition to my protocol at this point. You can buy PH strips to measure your alkaline/acid balance in any drug store. 

Hope this helps,

kali

kalisama
                                          Participant

Hi Mike,

Hope this helps,

kali

ecc26
                                            Participant

Glad you seem to be tolerating the lower dose a bit better. I did the full year and there were definitely some weeks that were worse than others. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

I've never heard of alkaline water or any cancer fighting properties it may/may not have. I would ask your doctor about it. They often don't like people to take "supplements" while the're being treated as they can interfere with medications so they may object to alkaline water. Ingesting too much alkaline materials does chaange your body chemistry though- including your blood and urine chemistry and may have some unintended consequences that may show up on blood panels, urine tests, etc. Your urine is supposed to be acidic- it's one of the defense mechanisms against bladder and kidney infections- making it alkaline (basic) may make you more prone to urinary tract infections, but again, discuss with your doctor and evaluate the risk.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and I hope alkaline water helps

ecc26
                                              Participant

Glad you seem to be tolerating the lower dose a bit better. I did the full year and there were definitely some weeks that were worse than others. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

I've never heard of alkaline water or any cancer fighting properties it may/may not have. I would ask your doctor about it. They often don't like people to take "supplements" while the're being treated as they can interfere with medications so they may object to alkaline water. Ingesting too much alkaline materials does chaange your body chemistry though- including your blood and urine chemistry and may have some unintended consequences that may show up on blood panels, urine tests, etc. Your urine is supposed to be acidic- it's one of the defense mechanisms against bladder and kidney infections- making it alkaline (basic) may make you more prone to urinary tract infections, but again, discuss with your doctor and evaluate the risk.

ecc26
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics