The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

TVEC #1 is complete

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community TVEC #1 is complete

Participant

Merry Christmas to my fellow warriors,

I had my first TVEC injection on Thursday the 20th.  It was by far the simplest procedure I have ever had with this damn disease.  It took longer to setup the ultrasound machine than it did to inject the stuff.  Friday morning I was able to go to work.  I made it until lunch before the side-effects took me down.  Saturday I felt like I had the flu.  By Sunday, I was feeling quite a bit better.  By Monday, I had no side-effects at all. 

I rewrote a Christmas carol while waiting for the TVEC to come up from the Mayo pharmacy.  Instead of all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth, I sang all I want for Christmas is Herpes injected into my neck.  Pembro dose #30 and TVEC #2 coming up in two weeks. 

All in all, I would recommend TVEC to anyone with a lymph node or subcutaneous tumor that you surgeon could reach with a needle.  Now all I have to wait for is the medicine to get the cancer killing started. 

Brad

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        GeoTony
        Participant

Congratulations Brad,

very interesting, my 2yr PET showed a couple of very resilent tumours SUV was up by 2 pts, also my 2yr Nivo finishes the end of March so I'm looking at the next option

Bubbles
          Participant

Good for you!!  Fingers crossed for an awesome response!!  Celeste

Mark_DC
            Participant

Well done Brad – I agree too that TVEC is a promising option. For me it shrunk a steadily growing tumour, but sadly it has probably stopped working. but it did bring results and if i have to go to surgery then the tumour is much smaller so should be an easier operation.

i did find it very time consuming though – first the ultrasound, then they make the TVEC or unfreeze it so this takes a long time at the pharmacy then back for injection. While all this was going on i would then have to see my melanoma doc who was on a different floor who would decide on the amount for injection and then i would do my keytruda infusion and then back to tvec. This takes a good four hours. Then the first few injections i too had really heavy fever. I was at work and sensed something was wrong. I should have taken the day off. On keytruda alone i never experienced this.

that said, my guess is that the fever is part of the cure, that this guides the immunotherapy so it knows what to attack. I did this for one year every two weeks which was pretty tough but i could see on the ultrasound each week i was making progress. Dont be put off if you get progression the first month or six weeks – this could be inflammation. This happened to me and then staerted to shrink. It is a bit scary seeing the tumour on ultrasound every visit, but if it is stable or shrinking then seeing it is ok. I remember writing down the measurements each visit and praying that they would be smaller.

good luck and please keep us updated but i think for certain cases its a grear option – combined with keytrud as you seem to be doing

lkb
              Participant

Glad you got your Christmas wish! When do you get the first measure of results?

Bradley75
                  Participant

I get an injection every 2 to 3 weeks depending how they get my Pembro labs, consult, and infusion worked in with it.  Scans in 3 months.  Every time I go in for the injection they put an ultrasound camera on it to measure the bastard.  If they look for it at one consult appointment along the way and can't find it, there will be dancing in the streets. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics