The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Turn around time for Biopsy/Treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Turn around time for Biopsy/Treatment

Participant
      Hello,
      I was diagnosed with melanoma in situ on Wednesday casually over the phone by a Dr. at my assigned VA clinic. Today I went to my appointment with the Dermatology nurse practitioner who said that my biopsy was sent to the east coast (I live in CA) for further testing and that it could take up to 4 weeks to get the results. She also sent a referral to a general surgeon and that referral at minimum won’t be reviewed until next Wednesday by a Dr. Considering that my original biopsy was done on august 6th, is it normal that it is taking so long? I cant even see an actual dermatology Dr. until Sept 9th (the dr. is a resident at the clinic).

I am considering registering with a different VA district because the quality of care feels so poor. Do these turn around times seem normal and should a course of action been explained to me?

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hopeful19
        Participant
          Hi, Timothy! So I had a biopsy done on July 18, 2019 and the results were given to me over the phone about one week later by a private clinic in NorCal. I wanted a second opinion so I went to Stanford Redwood City Clinic.
          I saw a dermatologist who specializes in Mohs Surgery . It took about one week for Stanford to get the slides and then about ten days for them to read the slides. That being said, a consensus committee of four histopathologists read my biopsy slides and agreed with the diagnosis of melanoma inSitu. My melanoma is on my nose which is a lousy location so I wanted another set of eyes and I ended up getting 4 sets!
          I don’t know the location nor the size of your melanoma. Maybe you could ask the nurse practitioner where they are sending the slides for confirmation? Maybe that information would help you. And perhaps a group of docs will examine your slides too. I am having my surgery this Wednesday. I am dreading it but I know I made the right decision. Go ahead and ask your current team your questions & concerns. I hope my story
          helps you. Good luck to you!
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics