The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tumor Shrinkage? And other stuff…

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Tumor Shrinkage? And other stuff…

Participant
      Just a melanoma update!

I had my first ipi/nivo infusion on 11/30 and a lot of my subcutaneous lesions are shrinking (not per a doctor, but I can see and feel this myself).! I have a lot of under-skin metastasis and many of my lumps have come down in size significantly. I wish this is something to be hopeful for! Praying that it’s also shrinking the masses in my liver and lungs.

I have developed the ipi/nivo rash – it’s mildly itchy and just a little unsightly.

My biggest concern are these new masses that have developed on my scalp. I have about six new growths that are odd – different than my other lumps. They almost look like blisters, but they’re solid. They itch, as well. I’ve done some googling, but haven’t seen anything related to it. If anyone has thoughts on it, I’d love to hear.

So far, I’m managing work just fine and feel pretty well.

Fighting alongside you all – Jennifer

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Newmanbell
        Participant
          Hi Jennifer,

I have nothing to add, but I am following you and my prayers are so with you right now. I am just sick with all you are dealing with and such little ones at the house too. My husband is Stage 3b and went through 18 months of immunotherapy. He has been NED and pray he stays. Next scan in February. We are hoping to go to Ireland in July if all is good… I, myself, had a melanoma insitu taken out in July. Obviously we must of had way too many tropical vacations earlier on in our marriage…:). Keep up the posts. Many of us don’t speak up, but you have many many that are reading your post and saying a little prayer…

Donna

sister of patient
          Participant
            Hi Jennifer – So happy for you that you can look at your lumps and bumps now and see them shrinking!!!! And yes – what’s going on on the outside IS going on on the inside too!! 🙂

As for the rashes, etc. – skin products made with colloidal oatmeal can definitely help and they come in a variety, i.e., body lotions and moisturizers, shampoos and even bath balms. If your rash really takes off, your doc may want you on a low-dose steroid – but that’s no big deal and really shouldn’t interfere with the efficacy of the immuno.

Again, so pleased to learn it’s all working for you, that you’re feeling OK and managing with your new job!! Way to go!! Take care 🙂

Barb

gopher38
            Participant
              I’d take that as a win on the first infusion. Hope it continues.
              Coragirl
              Participant
                Hi Jennifer, I think seeing shrinkage is a good sign and it is also wonderful that you are feeling well enough to work. I can’t answer your question but I just wanted you to know that I am wishing the best for you in your fight.
                Coragirl
                Participant
                  Hi Jennifer, I think seeing shrinkage is a good sign and it is also wonderful that you are feeling well enough to work. I can’t answer your question but I just wanted you to know that I am wishing the best for you in your fight.
                  Bubbles
                  Participant
                    I am so glad you are feeling pretty well and able to work after your first treatment, Jennifer. Super stoked about your ability to discern shrinkage of existing lesions!!! That is AWESOME!

As far other skin lesions – Immunotherapy causes an itchy raised rash that waxes and wanes in most. It can also cause all sorts of other skin disruptions as well – from blisters, to thickened areas, to the formation of hard lumps called granulomas – all due to a cell mediated response. (There are a zillion articles/posts on side effects on my blog if you are interested.) Pseudo progression is another real thing. A situation in which melanoma lesions (some of which may have been apparent at the start, some not) appear to “grow” at the start of immunotherapy as the influx of t-cells and inflammation triggered by that response cause them to increase in size.

For what that is worth. Bottom line, hang in there! You got this!! c

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics