The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Trials for the young?

Forums Pediatric & AYA Melanoma Community Trials for the young?

Participant

Malignant Melanoma in Teenagers and Young Adults; Kolandijan N, Wei C, Burke A, Bedikian A; Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (Aug 2014)

BACKGROUND: This study compares the natural history and treatment outcomes of cutaneous melanoma in teenagers and young adults to determine if exclusion of teenagers from investigative trials is justified.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: This is a chart review of patients between the ages of 13 and 40 years treated at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center for melanoma. Data related to the natural history and treatment outcomes were collected. Statistical tools were used to compare characteristics between teenagers and young adults. Cox proportional hazard models were utilized to examine the association between age group and overall survival.

RESULTS: Of the 476 patients, 109 were teenagers and 367 were young adults. Both groups had comparable disease stage, pathology, and rates of metastasis. Initial disease stage and pathology significantly influenced survival. Sixty-six of 452 patients with skin melanoma developed metastasis. Teenagers survived better than young adults from diagnosis of the skin primary and after development of systemic metastasis. Teenagers tolerated and benefited from interleukin-2-based systemic therapy and targeted therapies as well as the young adults.

CONCLUSIONS: Because of the similarities in natural history and treatment outcomes between teenage and young adult patients, it is recommended that teenage patients be officially enrolled on adult melanoma therapeutic trials.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tim–MRF

Jerry:

Thanks for posting this message. It is timely, given the meeting we had last weekend for families dealing with pediatric melanoma. The youngest patient there was 15 months; the oldest was 13 years. I am aware of a couple of pediatric melanoma trials that are open, but they specify patients between the ages of 12 and 18. This study by the MDA team suggests that this population is similar to the adult population.  I don't believe any trials are being done in the younger group. Since nothing is studied in that group, basically all treatment is done off-label.

Tim–MRF

tbmorgan
            Participant

Tim,

My name is Tobin Morgan and I am new to the forum.  My 13 month old son was diagnosed with congenital malignant melanoma at birth.  I was so disappointed to find out late about MRF and the meeting you had just this week.  My current pediatric oncologist is not a melanoma expert given the rarity and I am having to do most of the research myself.

My son had a 2 cm x 5 cm x 7 cm tumor on the back of his cranium/dura at birth.  He has had two brain surgeries and has developed 30 to 50 skins lesions over the past year.

He is currently being treated and considered stable as the cancer appears to be slow growing, but I am very afraid.  No one is talking cure, my doctor has said that he is not an expert and says that my son is only one of his many patients and he is glad I research because he does not have the time.

I need to find a pediatric melanoma expert that is willing to put the time and energy into my son to save him.  He is doing so well right now, no developmental issues, no side affects from the cancer, growing, walking, thriving.

He is currently taking an oral dose of Temozolomide 100 mg day for 5 days once a month, and 2 mg of Everolimus (Afinitor) every day.

Any advice/ referrals would be appreciated.

Tobin

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

TB, we got to get something going good for a guy with the TJ initials,  (My Fathers, mine and all my children's)

You may want to check out this:    https://www.facebook.com/ChristiansSpecialSpots?ref=stream     Christion just turned 18 months and has had melanoma for a while,  His Mother is Tanya Kennedy and has a Facebok page under her name.     Christian is in Childrens hospital and is currently undergoing Yervoy treatments.  sIt has been rough on him, but looks like he may be responding favorably to it.   If you need anymore help contactiing Tanya, let me know.  My Email is  "[email protected]"

tbmorgan
                Participant

I just read the post about young Christian and am lying in bed writing this with tears in my eyes   What a sweet boy.  I went and read his story on Facebook.  An angel on earth.  I will pray for his family.  Getting my materials together for MD Anderson.  Started the registration process with them Friday.  Will get TJ's records together Monday. TJ got to pet some bunnies and chickens at a small petting zoo today.  He laughed and played all day today, a great one.

tbmorgan
                  Participant

I just read the post about young Christian and am lying in bed writing this with tears in my eyes   What a sweet boy.  I went and read his story on Facebook.  An angel on earth.  I will pray for his family.  Getting my materials together for MD Anderson.  Started the registration process with them Friday.  Will get TJ's records together Monday. TJ got to pet some bunnies and chickens at a small petting zoo today.  He laughed and played all day today, a great one.

tbmorgan
                    Participant

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

TB, we got to get something going good for a guy with the TJ initials,  (My Fathers, mine and all my children's)

You may want to check out this:    https://www.facebook.com/ChristiansSpecialSpots?ref=stream     Christion just turned 18 months and has had melanoma for a while,  His Mother is Tanya Kennedy and has a Facebok page under her name.     Christian is in Childrens hospital and is currently undergoing Yervoy treatments.  sIt has been rough on him, but looks like he may be responding favorably to it.   If you need anymore help contactiing Tanya, let me know.  My Email is  "[email protected]"

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

tbmorgan
                          Participant

Tim,

My name is Tobin Morgan and I am new to the forum.  My 13 month old son was diagnosed with congenital malignant melanoma at birth.  I was so disappointed to find out late about MRF and the meeting you had just this week.  My current pediatric oncologist is not a melanoma expert given the rarity and I am having to do most of the research myself.

My son had a 2 cm x 5 cm x 7 cm tumor on the back of his cranium/dura at birth.  He has had two brain surgeries and has developed 30 to 50 skins lesions over the past year.

He is currently being treated and considered stable as the cancer appears to be slow growing, but I am very afraid.  No one is talking cure, my doctor has said that he is not an expert and says that my son is only one of his many patients and he is glad I research because he does not have the time.

I need to find a pediatric melanoma expert that is willing to put the time and energy into my son to save him.  He is doing so well right now, no developmental issues, no side affects from the cancer, growing, walking, thriving.

He is currently taking an oral dose of Temozolomide 100 mg day for 5 days once a month, and 2 mg of Everolimus (Afinitor) every day.

Tobin

tbmorgan
                            Participant

Tim,

Tobin

Tim–MRF

Jerry:

Thanks for posting this message. It is timely, given the meeting we had last weekend for families dealing with pediatric melanoma. The youngest patient there was 15 months; the oldest was 13 years. I am aware of a couple of pediatric melanoma trials that are open, but they specify patients between the ages of 12 and 18. This study by the MDA team suggests that this population is similar to the adult population.  I don't believe any trials are being done in the younger group. Since nothing is studied in that group, basically all treatment is done off-label.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Jerry:

Tim–MRF

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics