The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

treatment of sub-qs

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community treatment of sub-qs

Participant

After being NED for 16 months, (stage IIIa, nodular, 4.35 mm, mitotic rate 9 on mid back), I found a lump under the skin a little more than an inch below the CLND incision.  The surgeon did an excisional biopsy a week ago.  He called this morning to say that the preliminary report was melanoma.  That's all I know, but of course, my mind is racing.  My last scans were in November and they were clear, so I am hoping (praying) that this is just a single little subcutaneous met.  If so, will they probably just do a wide excision as they did with the primary?

After being NED for 16 months, (stage IIIa, nodular, 4.35 mm, mitotic rate 9 on mid back), I found a lump under the skin a little more than an inch below the CLND incision.  The surgeon did an excisional biopsy a week ago.  He called this morning to say that the preliminary report was melanoma.  That's all I know, but of course, my mind is racing.  My last scans were in November and they were clear, so I am hoping (praying) that this is just a single little subcutaneous met.  If so, will they probably just do a wide excision as they did with the primary?  Does this move me to stage IV?  

I know I don't have enough information yet to even guess at what is to come, but my appointment with the oncologist isn't for a week.  Between now and then, I would like to do as much research, planning, etc. as possible so that I can ask informed questions about treatment possibilities.  I do know what to expect if it is stage IV.

Thanks for any information/experiences you can share.  I hope all of you are feeling well this morning!

Lear

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Erinmay22
        Participant

Hi –

I can't really answer your questions but found your story (at least for the orginal mel) very similiar to mine.  Had a round pink raised lesion on my upper right back that my regular GP said was nothing.  In Sept of 2010 it started to grow like crazy.  Ended up being Nodular Mel (4.5 mm, 15 miotic rate, sentinel lymph node positive, no other nodes involved).  All done Oct/Nov 2010.   I did end up having mets in my lungs though – caught in a CT scan by Sloan Jan 2011 when they tried to get me in an ipi trial.

Good news is that I've been NED for almost a year now.  Tomorrow is the 1 year mark that I found out mel was in my lungs.  While trying to get in BRAF trial I had to wait several weeks.  By the time they scanned me in April and then again in May 2011 all the spots in my lungs had gone away.  I'm doing a watch and wait also.  Get check ups every 3 months.  I'm surprised that a scan wouldn't have picked that up in Nov?  Positive thoughts and prayers your way!

Erin

Erinmay22
          Participant

Hi –

I can't really answer your questions but found your story (at least for the orginal mel) very similiar to mine.  Had a round pink raised lesion on my upper right back that my regular GP said was nothing.  In Sept of 2010 it started to grow like crazy.  Ended up being Nodular Mel (4.5 mm, 15 miotic rate, sentinel lymph node positive, no other nodes involved).  All done Oct/Nov 2010.   I did end up having mets in my lungs though – caught in a CT scan by Sloan Jan 2011 when they tried to get me in an ipi trial.

Good news is that I've been NED for almost a year now.  Tomorrow is the 1 year mark that I found out mel was in my lungs.  While trying to get in BRAF trial I had to wait several weeks.  By the time they scanned me in April and then again in May 2011 all the spots in my lungs had gone away.  I'm doing a watch and wait also.  Get check ups every 3 months.  I'm surprised that a scan wouldn't have picked that up in Nov?  Positive thoughts and prayers your way!

Erin

Erinmay22
            Participant

Hi –

Erin

TSchulz
              Participant

This is all too familiar.  After being NED for 8 years, in 2009,  I had a small nodule show up in my neck (primary was in my right thigh with no lymph nodes ever being involved).  They excised the neck nodule +melanoma and PET negative.  Watch and wait.  A year later, another small neck nodule, + melanoma – cut it out.  Wait.  6 months later, PET shows 2 new SC nodules and a lung nodule and a spot on my femur. 

If I could go back to that first lesion in 2009 when I was NED I think I'd be looking for some type of treatment.  I think there are trials out there for people who've had metastatic lesions and are now NED getting Anti-PD1, maybe ipi….. I would be talking to the big melanoma centers to get multiple opinions. 

After reading many peoples bios on this message board it seems many have been through much the same scenario.  Best of luck to you!  I hope you can remain NED forever – you just might need a little help. 

TSchulz
                Participant

This is all too familiar.  After being NED for 8 years, in 2009,  I had a small nodule show up in my neck (primary was in my right thigh with no lymph nodes ever being involved).  They excised the neck nodule +melanoma and PET negative.  Watch and wait.  A year later, another small neck nodule, + melanoma – cut it out.  Wait.  6 months later, PET shows 2 new SC nodules and a lung nodule and a spot on my femur. 

If I could go back to that first lesion in 2009 when I was NED I think I'd be looking for some type of treatment.  I think there are trials out there for people who've had metastatic lesions and are now NED getting Anti-PD1, maybe ipi….. I would be talking to the big melanoma centers to get multiple opinions. 

After reading many peoples bios on this message board it seems many have been through much the same scenario.  Best of luck to you!  I hope you can remain NED forever – you just might need a little help. 

TSchulz
                  Participant

lhaley
                    Participant

Lear,

I hate to hear that this has come back……  IF, this is within the node region, and not deep within the area (that is what had changed my staging in 06) it would be thought of as an intransit which would make you 3B. At least that's my thinking. 

If this can be surgically removed and the rest of you are clear you most likely will continue "watch and wait".  If you have not done interfuron or Yervoy yet there might be a trial in your area in Delaware but that would be your decision. 

Lot's of stress right now but gather all of the information first.  For me in the past I've had 1 tumor show up at a time and surgically has worked the best for me, saving something systemically if needed in the future.

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

Lear,

I hate to hear that this has come back……  IF, this is within the node region, and not deep within the area (that is what had changed my staging in 06) it would be thought of as an intransit which would make you 3B. At least that's my thinking. 

If this can be surgically removed and the rest of you are clear you most likely will continue "watch and wait".  If you have not done interfuron or Yervoy yet there might be a trial in your area in Delaware but that would be your decision. 

Lot's of stress right now but gather all of the information first.  For me in the past I've had 1 tumor show up at a time and surgically has worked the best for me, saving something systemically if needed in the future.

Linda

lhaley
                        Participant

Lear,

Linda

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics