The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Treatment algorithm of metastatic mucosal melanoma

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Treatment algorithm of metastatic mucosal melanoma

Participant

Treatment algorithm of metastatic mucosal melanoma

Abstract: Mucosal melanoma is usually considered as the most aggressive and treatment-resistant subtype of melanoma. The unsatisfactory results of standard clinical therapies for metastatic melanoma highlight the needs for effective new therapeutic strategies. Recent successes in the development of new therapies for metastatic melanoma, such as inhibitors for mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway and blocking antibodies against cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated antigen-4 (CTLA-4) or programmed cell death protein-1 (PD-1)/programmed cell death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) pathway, have yielded promising results, expanding the continually evolving landscape of therapeutic options for patients with this disease. In this chapter we review chemotherapies, immunotherapies, targeted therapies and angiogenesis therapies in metastatic mucosal melanoma and discuss their implications.

Keywords: Mucosal melanoma; chemotherapy; targeted therapy; immunotherapy

Submitted Apr 30, 2014. Accepted for publication Aug 13, 2014.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        CHD
        Participant

Thanks for posting this.  Being reminded that this subtype is considered the most aggressive and treatment resistant form of melanoma is sobering, as I get to the point where I allow myself to forget as I am currently NED.  I am focused on getting to the 2-year mark (in May) without recurrence.  It is so encouraging to see that this type of research is ongoing and promising for this subtype too.

CHD
          Participant

Thanks for posting this.  Being reminded that this subtype is considered the most aggressive and treatment resistant form of melanoma is sobering, as I get to the point where I allow myself to forget as I am currently NED.  I am focused on getting to the 2-year mark (in May) without recurrence.  It is so encouraging to see that this type of research is ongoing and promising for this subtype too.

CHD
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics