The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

teen tan ban successful in Lower Vancouver Island!

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community teen tan ban successful in Lower Vancouver Island!

Participant

http://www.timescolonist.com/health/votes+teens+under+from+using+tanning+beds/4099594/story.html

http://www.timescolonist.com/health/votes+teens+under+from+using+tanning+beds/4099594/story.html

A recent University of Minnesota study said people who use any type of tanning bed for any amount of time are 74 per cent more likely to develop melanoma.

Photograph by: Glenn Olsen, Postmedia News

People younger than 18 will be prohibited from using indoor tanning beds after Capital Regional District politicians voted 18-1 in favour of a ban Wednesday.

Chief Medical Health Officer Dr. Richard Stanwick recommended the ban, which was debated by more than 40 speakers — almost evenly divided on the issue — during a

4 1⁄2-hour hearing.

Most of the politicians based their support on the testimony of youth in favour of the ban and the preponderance of peer-reviewed scientific evidence linking indoor tanning and skin cancer.

Juan de Fuca electoral area director Mike Hicks said he expects similar laws soon will be common across Canada.

Nova Scotia recently passed legislation that will ban the use of tanning beds for anyone 18 or younger.

It will be a huge pity, Hicks said, if the ban doesn't sweep "like wildfire across Vancouver Island, B.C. and Canada."

The lone dissenter was Metchosin Mayor John Ranns, who said the age limit for the ban should be 16 rather than 18.

The tanning industry mounted a powerful lobby against the proposal — even though it says youth account for just one per cent of its business — and blamed skewed science for the ban's approval.

Under the bylaw, tanning facility operators will be required to ask for ID from anyone who appears to be younger than 25. Contraventions will carry penalties from $250 to $2,000.

Stanwick, who originally recommended the indoor tanning bylaw in 2005, was elated Wednesday. "I'm so impressed," Stanwick said. "I was hoping that what happened in 1996 would happen again today — and it did."

That's the year young speakers persuaded the CRD, which had just voted to impose a sweeping smoking ban in all indoor public places effective Jan. 1, 1999 — then the strictest regulation in the country — to take extraordinary measures to protect youth by enforcing a smoking ban on school property as of September 1996.

Once again, "it wasn't my presentation, it wasn't the duelling scientists. It was that our directors saw the real promise for this region — that is our youth," Stanwick said. "They spoke eloquently, they spoke to a generational change and we were the supporting cast. It was the youth that drove this process."

Oak Bay Secondary School student Martene Hartnell delivered 300 signatures in support of the ban and an accompanying video. Earlier, the tanning bed industry submitted 800 names against the ban.

Adele Green of the University of Victoria's Youth Against Cancer said the ban decision is "a big weight off our shoulders. I'm very happy today."

Saanich Coun. Judy Brownoff said if the ban prevents even one person from dying of melanoma, it's a success. Studies by a variety of health agencies, including the Canadian Medical Association, have shown a direct link between artificial tanning at an early age and skin cancer.

In September, the New England Journal of Medicine wrote: "We believe that regulation of this industry may offer one of the most profound cancer-prevention opportunities of our time."

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        bcl
        Participant

Thanks to Julie and Ceri,  who made a huge impact at every meeting and galvanized the youth into action. Joan R for her dogged determination all these years to make change. Ellen, who provided me with much needed medical studies and Donna,  mom of Jamie, whose tireless efforts inspired me years ago, and still do to this day.

I have hope this will spread like wildfire throughout Canada. …the signs are already there:)   linda

James from Sydney
            Participant

Hi Linda, good to hear others are banning use of these Tanning Beds. Lets hope that one day they get rid of them altogether!

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
              Participant

Hi Linda, good to hear others are banning use of these Tanning Beds. Lets hope that one day they get rid of them altogether!

best wishes

James

bcl
              Participant

Thanks to Julie and Ceri,  who made a huge impact at every meeting and galvanized the youth into action. Joan R for her dogged determination all these years to make change. Ellen, who provided me with much needed medical studies and Donna,  mom of Jamie, whose tireless efforts inspired me years ago, and still do to this day.

I have hope this will spread like wildfire throughout Canada. …the signs are already there:)   linda

Bonnie Lea
                Participant

Oh Linda I am so very happy   Victoria is the first city to do this.  But on the other hand, I heard several radio shows with tongue in cheek, making reference to how long will it take before just past the city limits will a booming business be set up with tanniing parlours viing for business.

Made reference to some dispute on a border town in Pennsylvania and (forget the other state) where in one place it was against the law to have  'adult 'toy' box store'  and the next state it was ok,  so a huge bill board was set up advertising about driving just 2 miles or so.

this radio station commentary, outlined the fact that the whole province and all of our country needs to take on board, not just a city.

But this is a great big step towards a good thing.  Congrats to the city of Victoria.

bcl
                    Participant

Thanks Bonnie Lea, this is a regional ban that effects 13 municipalities and 2 regional districts. If our teens want an indoor tan they will have to travel for over an hour (and over a mountain) to get one.. much better than having a salon a stone's throw from the high school! We do need it to get it right in other jurisdictions though – working on that too:)  In December, Nova Scotia ( with no prodding from me lol)  banned under nineteens with unanimous support from the NDP, Conservative and liberal parties.. so it is possible to get agreement on this important issue:) 

And James, being able to reference Australia's tanning bed restrictions has helped me immensely!

bcl
                      Participant

Thanks Bonnie Lea, this is a regional ban that effects 13 municipalities and 2 regional districts. If our teens want an indoor tan they will have to travel for over an hour (and over a mountain) to get one.. much better than having a salon a stone's throw from the high school! We do need it to get it right in other jurisdictions though – working on that too:)  In December, Nova Scotia ( with no prodding from me lol)  banned under nineteens with unanimous support from the NDP, Conservative and liberal parties.. so it is possible to get agreement on this important issue:) 

And James, being able to reference Australia's tanning bed restrictions has helped me immensely!

Bonnie Lea
                      Participant

Oh Linda I am so very happy   Victoria is the first city to do this.  But on the other hand, I heard several radio shows with tongue in cheek, making reference to how long will it take before just past the city limits will a booming business be set up with tanniing parlours viing for business.

Made reference to some dispute on a border town in Pennsylvania and (forget the other state) where in one place it was against the law to have  'adult 'toy' box store'  and the next state it was ok,  so a huge bill board was set up advertising about driving just 2 miles or so.

this radio station commentary, outlined the fact that the whole province and all of our country needs to take on board, not just a city.

But this is a great big step towards a good thing.  Congrats to the city of Victoria.

killmel
                        Participant

Hi Linda,

Thanks so much for the terrific post.

I pray for Cass and was wondering how she is doing! Please give us an update so we know that our prayers are working.

Stay strong

Wendy

killmel
                          Participant

Hi Linda,

Thanks so much for the terrific post.

I pray for Cass and was wondering how she is doing! Please give us an update so we know that our prayers are working.

Stay strong

Wendy

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics