The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Switching dermatologists

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Switching dermatologists

Participant

I am currently seeing a Nurse Practitioner at a Dermatologist office. I have A LOT of moles, but have not had any (thankfully) turn out to be melanoma. My question is what do you do when you are uncomfortable about where and who is giving you care? This office is more focused on cosmetic dermatology. While I like the NP, I wish I was seeing a real doc. I have anxiety and worry they will think poorly of me if I call and say I'm switching doctors. Do you think they will care? Is it my right to switch? Or will it not even be a blip on their radar? I go there often and I worry it will look as though I'm a chronic doctor switcher. Thanks!

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Don't give it another thought.  Find a new derm and don't make any more appointments with this one.  It happens all the time.  Good for you for being vigiliant with your moles.

Girlfromohio
            Participant

Do you think I need to explain why I'm switching or will they not even care?

SABKLYN
            Participant

Good morning!

i think you said it all….if you're not comfortable, research other care providers.  I'm sure there are great options between OSU and the Cleveland Clinic for starters.   

jennunicorn
              Participant

It is totally fine to switch to a different derm. You don't need to explain yourself, you just stop making appointments with them and if you need any medical history files, you're welcome to ask for those at any time, so they will give those to you and that's it. We all have to have doctors we are comfortable with and trust, which means switching around to find the right one.. doctors are used to it, they aren't hurting for patients. 

Break up with the NP and switch to an office where you are seen by the doctor.  You don't need to explain yourself at all.  Just call and get your records and move on.  I was dismissed by a dermatologist I had seen for ten years as overreacting (I had stage IV melanoma).  The NP won't take it personally.  Best wishes to you.

stars
                Participant

I would definitely jump ship. With all due respect to NPs, they are not dermatologists. Leave without a second thought.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics