The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Support Group Topics

Forums Caregiver Community Support Group Topics

Participant

Hello all,

One thing that was frustrating to me early after my diagnosis was the lack of melanoma-specific support groups.  So my wife and I were trained by MRF recently and we are starting one in our town, Alexandria VA.

We intend to have both sharing and peer support, and also regular topical programs/presentations.  

Here's my question:  If you've attended a group where there was a program or presentation, what topics did you find valuable/inspirational/fun/useful?  

We've been working on a list, but I wanted to see what the community wisdom could contribute. 

Our list includes:  Physical health/fitness, eating right, mindfullness/meditation, spirituality, advances in detection and treatment, state of the immunotherapy universe, caring for the caregiver, advocacy, and others. 

What have you attended that really left an impression with you? 

Thanks! 

Wayne

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hey Wayne!

This is great that you're looking at starting up a support group!  Good on you!  There's something special about being able to talk "in cancer shorthand", that is not explain everything and still someone to get it.

I've been a part of a couple of support groups.  The ones that I've really loved and that have had the most impact on me  were patient focused and not content / information focused.  They have had a significant time for clients to tell their stories, ask questions of each other and interact with each other in a semi structured kind of way.  

On occasions when we all had questions about nutrition or something, often the leader would point us to outside resources.  Rarely did she bring someone in to talk with us about something. But she was very knowledgeable and up to date with external resources.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that the informational content wasn't what made the group good.  It was the sense of safety and camaraderie that I went back for.

Maybe this isn't the question you're asking, so see my answer as cheering you on.  

Shalom,

Julie

jbronicki
            Participant

Hey Wayne,

I second what Julie said as well.  Good for you for doing this, I'm a huge support group fan for just about anything.  It always help to feel heard and know you are not alone.

The one topic that also seems to come up a lot is scanxiety. That might be a good focus for a session in your group since it's definitely a psychological battle for many of us!

Good luck and there really is nothing more important than support ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers,

Jackie

waynec
              Participant

Julie & Jackie, thanks so much for your comments and insight!  Everything helps.  

Best,

Wayne

waynec
                Participant

Julie & Jackie, thanks so much for your comments and insight!  Everything helps.  

Best,

Wayne

waynec
                  Participant

Best,

Wayne

jbronicki
                    Participant

Hey Wayne,

I second what Julie said as well.  Good for you for doing this, I'm a huge support group fan for just about anything.  It always help to feel heard and know you are not alone.

The one topic that also seems to come up a lot is scanxiety. That might be a good focus for a session in your group since it's definitely a psychological battle for many of us!

Cheers,

Jackie

jbronicki
                      Participant

Hey Wayne,

Cheers,

Jackie

Julie in SoCal
                      Participant

Hey Wayne!

This is great that you're looking at starting up a support group!  Good on you!  There's something special about being able to talk "in cancer shorthand", that is not explain everything and still someone to get it.

I've been a part of a couple of support groups.  The ones that I've really loved and that have had the most impact on me  were patient focused and not content / information focused.  They have had a significant time for clients to tell their stories, ask questions of each other and interact with each other in a semi structured kind of way.  

On occasions when we all had questions about nutrition or something, often the leader would point us to outside resources.  Rarely did she bring someone in to talk with us about something. But she was very knowledgeable and up to date with external resources.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that the informational content wasn't what made the group good.  It was the sense of safety and camaraderie that I went back for.

Maybe this isn't the question you're asking, so see my answer as cheering you on.  

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                        Participant

Hey Wayne!

Shalom,

Julie

Viewing 2 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics