The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sunscreen and Makeup

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Sunscreen and Makeup

Participant

Hello,

I may be moving to Arizona (I know, great place for someone with this history) and I'm wondering what your experience has been with using certain suncsreens, makeup, sunglasses and sun gear that has protected you against Melanonma and other skin cancers. I also have a fair skinned 20 month old who I need to protect.

Please recommend the BEST products that have worked for you. Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much!

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        RichInLife2
        Participant

Well, if I could tell you something that worked for me I wouldn't be on this forum. Here is a link that can give you better advice than I can.

https://www.skincancer.org/prevention/uva-and-uvb

Good luck and please do protect that 20 month-old.

cancersnewnormal
          Participant

Sunscreen and tight weave clothing. Keep in mind that windows do not have UV protection… so if the sun is shining in… don't bask in the warmth unprotected (same holds true for automobiles). My favorite sunscreen is Zealios. It's not cheap, but absorbs in reallllllly nicely, so you aren't left feeling a sticky mess. I'm on the central coast of California, and outside alllllll the time. Still frozen turkey white. Ooooh… and a good pair of sunglasses is worth the price. It's all about lens quality, not necessarily the frame. Toddler sunglasses may be a little harder to find, but there are some out there with UV lenses… IF the kiddo will keep them on. At 20 months, they usually like to be "cool like mom"… so you may get lucky there. LOL!

lkb
            Participant

I bought some tops online from Coolibar, a company that specializes in sun-protective clothing.

Wicked Witch
              Participant

Caban life makes good stuff too: https://www.cabanalife.com/collections/womens-rashguards

And you can't beat the versatile protection of a big floppy hat. 

whitepantsforwomen
                Participant
                  I usually wear a hoodie anyways, so with one hoodie and the jacket, I’m comfortable to about 30 degrees. If I later two sweatshirts, I can stand a smidge colder. But that’s perfect because that’s why I bought it. I’ve got my big thick coat for when it’s really cold.

These jackets are great for keeping you warm in a soft and comfortable way. I do not overheat under this jacket.

I purchased a slightly larger fit because I do like to add fleece jackets underneath or heavy sweaters when temps are far below freezing.
                  Color is as expected. Comes with a bag that you can squeeze the jacket into for compact storing or to use as a head rest. Absolutely worth it for the price.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics