The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sun Safety at camps is a joke

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Sun Safety at camps is a joke

Participant

Feeling so frustrated right now. My daughter is 5 and I'm trying to find a summer camp for her since I work full-time. NONE of them will put sunscreen on her; they will only do spray which we all know is not good enough. I asked if they would apply lotion to her if I signed a note or got a doctor's note and they all said no. She is so fair skinned and I've had melanoma so her chances for skin cancer are high.  I work closely with Risk Management at my job so I know they are coming from a liability stance but I don't want my daughter to get skin cancer! She'll wear a long sleeve rash guard but what about the rest of her body?!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        katie1
        Participant

At 5 my kids (now grown) were able to learn to be pretty effective in applying their own sunscreen.  They often wore long sleeves and always had hats (for swimming they had long sleeve tops with shorts which at the time were hard to find so I ended up sewing them). Therefore, it was only limited skin areas they had to manage.  I would make sure they were well covered in the morning. They were good safe-sun ambassadors even then. I did make sure (with camp leaders) that they were allowed adequate time to put on their sunscreen (not rushed).  For them, wearing hats (sometimes they wore them in the water) and putting on sunscreen was just what you did if you went outside.  For one of my kids, covering up was the best defense because she is so fair that she burns quickly despite sunscreen. Sunscreen in her case is the second line of defense!

i would look for a summer camp that will cooperate and will model safe sun practices (even if they won't directly apply sunscreen, they can model good practices and allow enough time for the kids to apply sunscreen). 

Kate

katie1
          Participant

At 5 my kids (now grown) were able to learn to be pretty effective in applying their own sunscreen.  They often wore long sleeves and always had hats (for swimming they had long sleeve tops with shorts which at the time were hard to find so I ended up sewing them). Therefore, it was only limited skin areas they had to manage.  I would make sure they were well covered in the morning. They were good safe-sun ambassadors even then. I did make sure (with camp leaders) that they were allowed adequate time to put on their sunscreen (not rushed).  For them, wearing hats (sometimes they wore them in the water) and putting on sunscreen was just what you did if you went outside.  For one of my kids, covering up was the best defense because she is so fair that she burns quickly despite sunscreen. Sunscreen in her case is the second line of defense!

i would look for a summer camp that will cooperate and will model safe sun practices (even if they won't directly apply sunscreen, they can model good practices and allow enough time for the kids to apply sunscreen). 

Kate

katie1
            Participant

Kate

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics