The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Subungual Melanoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Subungual Melanoma

Participant

I had a black line that appeared in the fingernail of my middle finger of my left hand about 18 months ago.  After a couple of months the discoloration spread and the nail split.  I made an appointment with my PCP and had him examine it along with some stomach issues I was having.  He said the nail was nothing to worry about, probably fungal or damage to the nail bed from trauma (of which I had none).  Long story short after complete deteriation of the nail bed and a raised ulceration of the skin below the nail bed and two more examinations by two different doctors (both who said it was an infection at best and prescribed anti-biotics) over the next year, I finally visit the ER because of the pain and bleeding in the finger.  ER doc immediately refers me to dermatologist and get biopsy the same day.  Preliminary pathology came back as malignant melanoma, blood work shows melanoma is already in my blood system, so Dermatologist referred me to Md Anderson, said the mitosis shows very agressive.  Don't know if it has metastized anywhere else yet, but definitely having symptoms of metastizes in other areas.  39 years old healthy with 4 small kiddos that I am raising by myself, so I have to beat this.  Have an appointment with Dr. Michael Wong at MD Anderson on August 1st.  Sorry I don't have more information at this time.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichelleRHG
        Participant
          Glad you are going to MDAnderson! I travel there from Ky. and have had excellent care. I’m only a few months into this journey myself.You can use search button here to find past threads about just about any topic. Also look for Bubbles/Celeste, who has archived many, many articles on her blog. She has a search bubble on her page, as well. Take a deep breath, you will be in good hands in Texas and will find a lot of information and support here. Good luck .
            jc2dad
            Participant
              Thanks for the heads up. I will look for bubbles post.
            sister of patient
            Participant

Hello JC, I'm so sorry to read about what you've been through but thank goodness you were properly diagnosed finally! You've certainly come to the right place to learn more about the disease and the great treatments now available, as there is much to be hopeful for even with very aggressive melanoma.

This site will never steer you wrong, whereas there is so much old, outdated info on the Web. So ask as many questions as you need to be as informed as possible, take it one day at a time and, though I suspect you have your hands quite full with 4 little ones at home, remember to be good to yourself too!! I hope you have some kind of support system close (family or very good friends) so that you can call on them if need be.

Take care! Wishing you the best outcome possible!!

Barb

jc2dad
                Participant
                  Thanks Barb. After the initial shock wore off I started working on getting my mind right. What I have convinced myself is that some people say “Oh no, I have cancer. Today Cancer said, oh no, I have Jonathon.” I’m gonna beat this!
                  sister of patient
                  Participant

That's a great attitude Jonathon!! And yes, you CAN DO THIS!!! 🙂

cancersnewnormal
                  Participant

Oh my goodness… it's always painful to hear stories about misdiagnosis. Repeated misdiagnosis. You will be well taken care of at MD Anderson. They are ranked top in the nation. Additionally, I was under Mike Wong's care when he was here in California. I MISS HIM SOOOOOO MUCH. He is the kind of doctor that goes above and beyond for his patient's best success. He is genuinely caring, incredibly intelligent, quite humble, and very personable. While I don't envy your position of newly diagnosed (I remember the mental horror), I do harbor a bit of jealousy that you will be seeing my medical team favorite. ; )  You're in very good hands. 

jc2dad
                      Participant
                        That’s great to know. My surgeon is a Dr. Janice Cormier. Really can’t wait to get the ball rolling. The not knowing is the hardest part. My tumor is deep and has been there for awhile along with other side effects make me think the worst…but am hoping for the best.
                        cancersnewnormal
                        Participant

You're absolutely right, the hardest part is the not knowing! Once you have treatment plans and schedules, it's a matter of coordinating your life around them. You'll have more answers soon… and very likely some scans… blood tests… needles will be your new best friend. HA! ; )  Best of luck for the coming week! Your brain is going to go into a spin with lots of info! Hopefully there will be more easing of the mind than overwhelming. Crossing fingers and toes for you that the other side effects are of less concern than you fear. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics