The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Subcutaneous masses removed. Questions!!!

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Subcutaneous masses removed. Questions!!!

Participant
      Hi, I just had 2 small, moveable subQ masses excised from the back of my hand.The dermatologist said she saw no pigment, which was probably a good sign. They were white, just like the underlying skin. She also said they were not as hard as she initially thought and were very easy to excise. They came out as little round white balls, from what I could see in the specimen jar. Has anybody actually looked at their subQ melanoma when its been taken out? I know the pathologist will give the final word but does this description sound hopeful or not? Worried, of course. Stage 3B, primary on thigh in 2009, Mets to groin and pelvic nodes in 2016. Thanks in advance for any insight.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

From my personal experience, that sounds very hopeful. As you mentioned, obviously, the pathology report will show the details that can't be seen with naked eye. The subQ removed from my back took quite a lot of digging, with my dermatologist repeatedly apologizing for how much pressure he had to use. He also mentioned how "tied in" it was with surrounding tissue. When it was finally out, and sliced in half, there was clearly pigment. We pretty much knew immediately that it wasn't going to be a good path report. But at that time, I was already stage IV with brain and lung issues, sooooo… a little "meatball" on my back was small potatoes. That said… there are tricky melanoma spots that sometimes have no pigment… although I wonder how easily they'd come right out. That part doesn't fit a mela-meat profile. That sounds more detached from surrounding structures.

MichelleRHG
            Participant
              Thank you for your reply, Niki. Any word of positivity helps, as I’m sure you know all too well. May God bless you. Thanks again.
            MichelleRHG
            Participant
              They were not cancer, but likely caused by i.v., is what I was told. I will get more details next week but so relieved!
                cancersnewnormal
                Participant

Yeah! That's great news!  : )  Caused by I.V. …. interesting… and weird. Maybe like a keloid scar, but under the skin rather than on surface? Huh. 

MichelleRHG
                  Participant
                    There were 2 masses. Weird. The derm texted the info to me but I’m curious to see the path report . They were not exactly where the I.v. was, either, but a couple cm away. My body inflames some with the opdivo so I guess that played a role. Just so thankful!
              Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics