The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

stage 4 husband doing well on Brafi/Meki

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community stage 4 husband doing well on Brafi/Meki

Participant

Just wanted to give an update on my husband Jason. He's been on targeted therapy now since July 2018 and is still having success. His scan last week showed only 1 tumor remaining in his leg! Amazing! So he's scheduled for radiation on the one stubborn tumor and then will hopefully be given NED status for a while.

A quick recap for those of you who are suffering and scared like I'be been: He was stage 4 in March 2018 and it was everywhere: brain, bone, heart, lungs, and skin. He failed immunotherapy but had immediate success with Dabrafenib/Trametinib. We saw golf ball sized tumors shrink in days! He had cyberknife on his brain MET which seemed to shrink it quickly (though it could've been the pills too).

These pills are truly amazing when they work, though they can bring along some severe side effects. I've posted here a couple times about his relentless 103 – 104 fevers, severe rigors, and debilitating knee and ankle swelling/pain. The docs have had him on 30mg prednisone and dose-reduced the Dabrafenib (from 150mg to 75mg) which has worked until he attempts to taper the prednisone. Last month, after a horrible bout of fevers we started playing around with intermittent dosing on our own because his quality of life was really suffering. He took a 12 day break to reset his body and taper the prednisone to 20mg, then resumed the pills. He stayed on the pills for 2 weeks before breaking for 1 week and reducing to 17mg prednisone. He then increased the Dabrafenib back to 150mg and resumed the combo for 1 week, then took a 1 week break to reduce the prednisone to 15mg. It's a slow process and not all doctors would encourage it, but ours understands that quality of life matters. So far with this dosing he's had no fevers and been able to get back to working part-time. He's still suffering from joint pain and eye pressure during his "on" weeks, but loves his breaks.  

I would never suggest this approach since it got him kicked off his clinical trial, but I wanted to share our story with the community. Every BODY is different and at the end of the day, we are our own best advocates. I got this idea from reading about a current clinical trial right now that has patients taking full dose Dab/Tram on a 1 week on, 3 weeks off schedule. It's only phase 2 so again, I'm not suggesting others try this, only sharing our story.

My thoughts and prayers to everyone out there affected by melanoma and other cancers. Stay strong and keep advocating for yourself and your loved ones! 

-Shannon

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        llchelseall
        Participant

Gah, so good Shannon! Thanks so much for your share and for being so honest. Targeted therapies saved my brother's life and we did not administer Mekinist the recommended way at all. In fact, we had to threaten arson (kidding, maybe) to give him his initial dose when he was on life support with a feeding tube because it is labeled as not to be crushed, dissolved, etc. They told us to call Hospice 4 times before that point and yet only 5 days after that first dose was dissolved in water and pushed through his gtube, he bounced back. The crazy part about it was my bro's oncologist got the pills from a drug rep and they were expired…I still feel like I'm full of it when I tell this story. 

Keep up the good work being a badass advocate, you are amazing!

Chelsea

skfitz
            Participant

That's amazing, Chelsea! Good for you for pushing so hard to get your brother those pills. Sounds like you too are an amazing, badass advocate! It's crazy isn't it? There's nothing I wouldn't do to save my husband's life, yet the rules and policies can be so frustrating and hard to navigate sometimes. It really does take a village. I'm thrilled to hear your brother's success story and wish him and your family the best. 

Shannon

Dympsd
              Participant

THats great news. We too have had amazing resuts. Last week I was Desperate but this week I am back to being so hopeful. The Braf/Mek combo has helped my husband out of his wheelchair again and now he no longer has left sided weakness. He looks and feels so much better its a huge relief from finding out there were more brain tumors 2 weeks ago to the recovery he has had this week. Thank you for all the encouraging words

skfitz
                Participant

That's fantastic news about your husband! I was at that same point of desperation in June when everything was going downhill so quickly. I too have hope now, not only in these pills which have given us time, but that a cure (or lasting treatment) will soon be found. My best to you and your husband for continued success and lots of new memories together! 

SOLE
                  Participant

Simply amazing. I am speechless. The stuff of what movies are made of and yet people think its too far fetched. How is he today?

s love
                  Participant
                    Hi Shannon. Thank you for sharing this information with us. My mother is presently taking this medication and she too has debilitating pain in her knee, but only in her right knee, and prescription pain meds don’t help.

We are trying to figure out if the pain is a side effect of the medication. Her doctor said that joint and muscle pain are side effects, however joint & muscle pain cannot only be in one area of the body such as pain in one knee. In other words, her doctor says that the medication causes joint or muscle pain in different areas of the body, not just one area like the knee, and if the pain is concentrated in one area, then the pain is not caused by side effects of the medication.

Can you please tell me if your husband experiences debilitating pain in one knee or in both knees?

Also from your comment, the meds are working to shrink the tumors which is truly amazing and provides me with hope and inspiration. Did your husband experience pain in the areas where he has mets (tumors) while he was on the combo?

s love
                    Participant
                      I forgot to add that I am unsure if her doctor is correct and I am trying to figure out what this pain is.
                        skfitz
                        Participant

I'm so sorry to hear that your mom is struggling with knee pain. My husband has had the same problems with his knees and ankles. Sometimes he needs a cane to walk. We've found that prednisone really helps since no pain meds have been able to touch it. Has your mom tried that? My husband started with 10mg prednisone but had to increase up to 30mg due to other side effects (fevers mainly). Perhaps your mom will feel relief with just 10mg. As for pain while shrinking, my husband didn't have any. He was very ill from the pills though so even if he did, he likely wouldn't have noticed. I hope your mom gets relief and results very soon! 

s love
                          Participant
                            Thank you very much for this information. This is very helpful and we will look into prednisone.
                      Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics