The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

stage 4 and timing

Forums General Melanoma Community stage 4 and timing

Participant
      My onc did me a big disservice…for what ever reason he failed to communicate to me I had Stage 4 last summer….so that’s a year I was unaware….I am taking opvido so likely the treatment would be the same but my lifestyle would have changed. 65% SR is not 25% SR.

my question is: when did the clock start?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          This is no clock in stage 4, you either respond to Ipi + nivo or you do not, scans and follow up are now part of life. If the immunotherapy did the trick then follow up ct scans 4 times a year would make sense. I would also ask for MRI of the brain at least twice a year to make sure there is no progression there. Stage 4 since 2013 and still kicking, it does get easier with time.
          JudiAU
          Participant
            There is no clock but he did you a disservice by denying you access to a higher level of drugs? Is that the case? You have only had single agent? What level of scans have you had? Where do you or did you have Mets? I would personally switch oncologists, switch drug regimes, and wipe out the Mets if you can. They had more time in your body to replicate without the best treatment and you should be angry.
              ed williams
              Participant
                JudiAU, he had Ipi+ nivo, and is now on single pd-1 drug, so treatment would not have been any different.
                tkoss
                Participant
                  He did not deviate from single treatment, opvido , since he decided I was state 4 last summer.

What are my treatment options? i am considering find a new doctor.

there are a few LN’S involved in my abdomen, so I understand removing them…but what are the medical options. I am braf+

Lucas
                Participant
                  What type of recurrence? I had an oligometastaic recurrence in a previous spot after 3 years ned from ipi-nivo. I was then put on 2 cycles of relatlimab-nivo. The tumor was very palpable in my groin, but shrunk dramatically. After removal it was mostly necrotic with less than 10% tumor involvement.
                  tkoss
                  Participant
                    it went from my axial LN to abdominal LN…somewhere along the iliac /aortic something or other

i have been on opvido for nearly 2 years and it sill spread

am i gonner and how soon?

Lucas
                    Participant
                      No you’re not a goner…I was a goner at one point also until I wasn’t. I’m guessing it’s a retroperitonal lymph node? Anyways if that’s it and hasn’t gone to your CNS. That is oligometastatic and if it’s in only one spot your statistics are favorable. However, I would want to be put on nivo/rela it’s a different pathway. It’s kind of like starting over and I would want to treat aggressively. Keep us posted, praying for you determinately!
                      tkoss
                      Participant
                        here are the reports: i can’t really understand them other than petscon seems to play down metastatic melanoma but CT says the opposite…..onc is useless in explaining

from july scans

PETscan; concerning for mesenteric pannicullitus inflamation vs. lymphoma vs. metastasis

and

CT: evidence of ileocolic and aortocaval lymphademonathy, likely metastatic

neither say it is melanoma that migrated from upper axial LN’s. in fact no report say LN, some say “nodular” but not LN. Are they the same? And whenever it says ‘metastatic ‘ but not “melanoma” should i assume it to be melanoma?

ed williams
                          Participant
                            Post the whole report, and many will be able to give you a helping hand. Usually if it does not give size of tumor then there is no tumor and with a PET-ct, they will give size of tumor plus SUV uptake. They will also say new spot or new growth when compared to old scans or change in size of previous biopsied tumor, either smaller or larger. Summary section usually spell things out based on opinion of person viewing scans.
                      Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics