The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SSDI advise?

Forums General Melanoma Community SSDI advise?

Participant

My husband is no longer physically able to work. He is stage 4 with mets throughout his body. We have been advised to file for disability. My question is does anyone have any advise for making it through the six months before you receive any money? Yes, I know we should have saved for an emergency fund…but we didn't.  I have always been a housewife and know that I will need to find work but I know we won't be able to live on whatever I am able to bring in got 6 months. Also when he quits he will lose his insurance… What then? 

Sorry, just a little frustrated at the system! 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mom2Addy
        Participant

Going on medical disability from work does not equal quitting. Did he already use his FMLA time? My husband is stage iv with brain mets and has only missed a few days of work. If he can get on FMLA and work part time, it could cover the six months. Prayers for you and your family!

Mom2Addy
          Participant

Going on medical disability from work does not equal quitting. Did he already use his FMLA time? My husband is stage iv with brain mets and has only missed a few days of work. If he can get on FMLA and work part time, it could cover the six months. Prayers for you and your family!

DennysGirl
              Participant

My husband works for a small family owned company and does not have to offer FMLA. He is a manager of technicians at a HVAC company but it's the busy season right now so they are still asking him to go out on calls. He did a call yesterday that took him 3 times as long as normal because his body just couldn't keep up and he had to take breaks. He is stage 4 also and has mets in his brain, lung, liver and bones (knee, pelvis, spine, ribs and neck).   It is so hard seeing him like this. He is used to being the manly man, always helping everyone with any hard labor task. He was diagnosed 5 weeks ago…2 weeks before that he was helping clean up tornado damage at people's houses! Now he walks like he is 80 because his bones hurt so bad and he coughs and has a hard time breathing. It amazes me how fast life can change! 

Thank you for your reply and especially for your prayers! I will add your husband to my prayer list too! 

DennysGirl
                Participant

My husband works for a small family owned company and does not have to offer FMLA. He is a manager of technicians at a HVAC company but it's the busy season right now so they are still asking him to go out on calls. He did a call yesterday that took him 3 times as long as normal because his body just couldn't keep up and he had to take breaks. He is stage 4 also and has mets in his brain, lung, liver and bones (knee, pelvis, spine, ribs and neck).   It is so hard seeing him like this. He is used to being the manly man, always helping everyone with any hard labor task. He was diagnosed 5 weeks ago…2 weeks before that he was helping clean up tornado damage at people's houses! Now he walks like he is 80 because his bones hurt so bad and he coughs and has a hard time breathing. It amazes me how fast life can change! 

Thank you for your reply and especially for your prayers! I will add your husband to my prayer list too! 

DennysGirl
                  Participant

Mom2Addy
                  Participant

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

Why would he lose his insurance? He should get it for at least 2 years via cobra granted there is a low monthly premium it sounds like you would have a hard time doing.

Also does his company have a long term disability policy? Thst can pay a certain percent of income after work.

There was a post a few months ago about different charities thst can help. Hopefully you can find it. Sorry I'm having a sharp pain in my left kidney for the first time where there is a new 5 by 4 cm tumor so I'm not thinking too good.

Artie

DennysGirl
                        Participant

I will look into COBRA, and try to find the charity post. Thank you for the reply. Sorry to hear about your new met. Praying for you. 

DennysGirl
                          Participant

I will look into COBRA, and try to find the charity post. Thank you for the reply. Sorry to hear about your new met. Praying for you. 

DennysGirl
                            Participant

Who_am_i
                              Participant

I wa told stage four is fast tracted with social security and you should be receiving benefits within 60 days

Who_am_i
                                Participant

I wa told stage four is fast tracted with social security and you should be receiving benefits within 60 days

kylez
                                  Participant

The approval itself is fast-tracked. Benefits will begin 6 months from the date a person first became disabled. To SSA, I think that generally means 6 months from the date a person stops working. I don't know if there's any nuance to that position, e.g., if a person had changed from full- to part-time status rather than immediately stopped working.

kylez
                                    Participant

The approval itself is fast-tracked. Benefits will begin 6 months from the date a person first became disabled. To SSA, I think that generally means 6 months from the date a person stops working. I don't know if there's any nuance to that position, e.g., if a person had changed from full- to part-time status rather than immediately stopped working.

kylez
                                      Participant

Who_am_i
                                        Participant

arthurjedi007
                                        Participant

Why would he lose his insurance? He should get it for at least 2 years via cobra granted there is a low monthly premium it sounds like you would have a hard time doing.

Also does his company have a long term disability policy? Thst can pay a certain percent of income after work.

There was a post a few months ago about different charities thst can help. Hopefully you can find it. Sorry I'm having a sharp pain in my left kidney for the first time where there is a new 5 by 4 cm tumor so I'm not thinking too good.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                          Participant

Artie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics