The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Spouse of new patient – Questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Spouse of new patient – Questions

Participant

Hi, everyone.

My husband, age 72, had a melanoma removed in May with wide excision. At the time, the plastic surgeon said that for the most part the margins were clear but one cell remained.

Recently, small, pink bumps have been coming up on his scalp. He says they hurt when he presses on them. 

He is supposed to have an appointment soon with his dermatologist. I am going to go into the appointment with him because he doesn't hear well and I have some questions.

We haven't been given a pathology report – is that typical? So I know nothing other than that my husband said the dermotologist told him this was the 'best' kind (husband's interpretation) to have. However, the plastic surgeon, whom my husband knew professionally, asked him, "You do understand that this is cancer?" and told him it was malignant melanoma.

Any thoughts are most welcome!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        marjie01
        Participant

Me again: forgot to add this question: Should we be concerned that one cell remained outside the margins? The melanoma was on his shoulder, by the way. 

Janner
            Participant

So, one cell was outside the recommended melanoma free margins?  Hard to know whether to be concerned or not.  How deep was the lesion?  What were the exact margins?  Many people don't get copies of their path reports unless they ask for it.  It's not "standard issue" by many derms.  But it is yours to ask for.  And having that info would help.  If the lesion was Lentigo Maligna melanoma, that type often spreads on the surface long before it becomes invasive.  However, it has a high local recurrence rate.  So I wouldn't like to have margins that aren't as big as suggested on that type.  However, if he meant superficial spreading (the most common type) I'd want to know more info. 

I wouldn't normally consider bumps on the scalp related to a shoulder melanoma.  Kind of going "against the grain" or really "against the drain" in how melanoma drains to the lymph nodes.  Shoulder drains to neck or clavicle or armpit.  Scalp drains only to neck, but you wouldn't often see melanoma going upstream from shoulder through neck nodes to scalp.  Can't say never but maybe the spots are not related at all.  Good thing to get them checked out, and good to have more than one person at the appointment.  My father was hard of hearing and he often missed important parts of conversations.  As he got older, we went to all his appointments just so we knew nothing was missed.

marjie01
              Participant

That makes sense, Janner, and your posts are always very informative. But, and this is probably a dumb/worried question, from what primary sites on the body would mets on the scalp usually appear? i.e., what would be the drainage route to the scalp from which areas of the body? I honestly don't know!

Janner
                Participant

The scalp, the legs and the arms are end points.  Basically, they would drain TOWARD the nearest lymph node basin.  So the scalp drains toward the neck.  Arms drain toward the armpits.  Legs drain toward the groin.  You don't typically see something on the arm draining to the groin nodes.  You don't see things skipping a lymph node basin.  Going toward the scalp is going "upstream" to  be the most descriptive.  So it would make more sense that whatever is going on in the scalp is a PRIMARY location, not secondary from somewhere else.  This isn't a hard and fast rule because if someone is stage IV, it could go anywhere.  But in general, something from another location on the body wouldn't just head to the scalp.  Anything is possible, just some things are really more unlikely than others.  Does this make sense?

marjie01
                  Participant

Yes, thank you.

marjie01
                    Participant

Yes, thank you.

marjie01
                      Participant

Yes, thank you.

Janner
                        Participant

The scalp, the legs and the arms are end points.  Basically, they would drain TOWARD the nearest lymph node basin.  So the scalp drains toward the neck.  Arms drain toward the armpits.  Legs drain toward the groin.  You don't typically see something on the arm draining to the groin nodes.  You don't see things skipping a lymph node basin.  Going toward the scalp is going "upstream" to  be the most descriptive.  So it would make more sense that whatever is going on in the scalp is a PRIMARY location, not secondary from somewhere else.  This isn't a hard and fast rule because if someone is stage IV, it could go anywhere.  But in general, something from another location on the body wouldn't just head to the scalp.  Anything is possible, just some things are really more unlikely than others.  Does this make sense?

Janner
                          Participant

marjie01
                            Participant

That makes sense, Janner, and your posts are always very informative. But, and this is probably a dumb/worried question, from what primary sites on the body would mets on the scalp usually appear? i.e., what would be the drainage route to the scalp from which areas of the body? I honestly don't know!

marjie01
                              Participant

Janner
                                Participant

So, one cell was outside the recommended melanoma free margins?  Hard to know whether to be concerned or not.  How deep was the lesion?  What were the exact margins?  Many people don't get copies of their path reports unless they ask for it.  It's not "standard issue" by many derms.  But it is yours to ask for.  And having that info would help.  If the lesion was Lentigo Maligna melanoma, that type often spreads on the surface long before it becomes invasive.  However, it has a high local recurrence rate.  So I wouldn't like to have margins that aren't as big as suggested on that type.  However, if he meant superficial spreading (the most common type) I'd want to know more info. 

I wouldn't normally consider bumps on the scalp related to a shoulder melanoma.  Kind of going "against the grain" or really "against the drain" in how melanoma drains to the lymph nodes.  Shoulder drains to neck or clavicle or armpit.  Scalp drains only to neck, but you wouldn't often see melanoma going upstream from shoulder through neck nodes to scalp.  Can't say never but maybe the spots are not related at all.  Good thing to get them checked out, and good to have more than one person at the appointment.  My father was hard of hearing and he often missed important parts of conversations.  As he got older, we went to all his appointments just so we knew nothing was missed.

Janner
                                  Participant

marjie01
                                  Participant

Me again: forgot to add this question: Should we be concerned that one cell remained outside the margins? The melanoma was on his shoulder, by the way. 

marjie01
                                    Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics