The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Spitz Nevus – Junctional

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Spitz Nevus – Junctional

Participant
      I am a 41 year old female. I had a mole that newly presented on the back of my knee. It was about 6mm and very very black. I had it biopsied and the results were: Spitz Nevus – Junctional. The report read orderly nests were present, large nuclei, and some pagetoid spread with many melanocytes present. It was recommended that I have a complete re-excision to remove it completely due to my age, rareness of this growth, and because atypical cells were present. I had the re-excision and I am awaiting the results. I am concerned because I have read about misdiagnosis being common in adult patients with spitz nevus. I have a family history of melanoma with an uncle diagnosed with Ocular Melanoma and a maternal first cousin diagnosed at the age of 24. Both family members were diagnosed stage IV. Should I have a second opinion? or is this pretty standard?
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Ciucco
        Participant
          Hi, Anon: I’m fairly new to the forum and haven’t yet posted my story, but your post sounds a lot like what I experienced with my melanoma diagnosis. Have you had genetic testing done on the biopsy and/or on yourself to check for somatic mutations? There is a mutation called BAP1 that causes what are often called Spitz Nevis but they are moles that contain BAP1 loss and are actually considered by many as bapomas. These are often difficult to diagnose with pathology and contain melanocytic cells and do in fact often evolve into melanoma – at least that was my exzperience. BAP1 is considered a cancer syndrome gene mutation and causes a number of cancers, including uveal melanoma. Given your family history, I think you would be really smart to get a second opinion and ask for genetic testing. I had a challenging pathology report that sounds similar to yours and it turned out to be stage IIB melanoma. I also was found to have the BAP1 mutation and unfortunately have progressed to Stage IV. I’m in a clinical trial now since immunotherapy didn’t work for me (as it often doesn’t for melanoma with BAP1 mutation that often behaves like a uveal melanoma). Good luck and feel free to reach out I if I can help you with info…. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this and hope that you get good news and a speedy resolution.
          Jenni Walker
          Participant
            This is very similar to my current experience, except my 6mm nodule was pinkish/red because it was amelanotic. I am still waiting for the biopsy results. The dermatologist said he thought it may be a Spitz Nevus or a Dermatofibroma. Although the Spitz Nevus part has me paranoid because I have read about them being misdiagnosed and actually being melanoma. Especially since this nevus appeared in my 40s. The derm said they are waiting on a second opinion, possibly because the lab thought it was borderline, which makes me even more anxious. I would get a second opinion. It wouldn’t hurt and it may put your mind at ease.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics