The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Some news for melanoma

Forums Pediatric & AYA Melanoma Community Some news for melanoma

Keymaster

Two pieces of breaking information today that you may hear about.  Neither are about new treatments, unfortunatelty, but both are very exciting for their potential to make a difference.

Two pieces of breaking information today that you may hear about.  Neither are about new treatments, unfortunatelty, but both are very exciting for their potential to make a difference.

First, Congressman Bilbray, and Congresswomen Maloney and DeLaura are submitting legislation today that, if passed, will provide extended patent protection for investigational drugs that are tested in combination.  This will provide a major financial incentive for industry to do the kinds of studies they now find difficult but which offer the best hope for melanoma patients.  

This legislation came out of meetings MRF had with Congressman Bilbray, whose daughter has Stage III melanoma.  We proposed the idea to the Congressman and provided a background document showing how similar action in pediatrics and some infectious diseases has resulted in tremendous progress in drug development.

Most doctors agree that real advances in effective treatments will only come through combining two or more drugs together.  If these drugs are already approved, doing studies like this are relatively easy.  If they are not yet approved–still in clinical trials–they are very difficult.  Companies worry that any side effects that arise from a combination study will "taint" the data of their drug and hurt its chances of approval.  And they are reluctant to collaborate with other companies on these studies.  This legislation will add a "carrot" to the mix and will help accelerate these important studies.

Second, the new lead of MD Anderson decided to embrace a select group of cancers around which they will build major comprehensive programs.  The idea is to find ways MDA can have a major impact on these cancers, from prevention to cures.  They call the concept a “moon-shot”, hearkening back to the day that President Kennedy made a commitment that the USA would put a man on the moon.  

Everyone at MDA has worked to put forward a proposal that their particular cancer will be part of this initiative.  Those cancers chosen will receive significant new funding for research and outreach.  In that process, MRF has worked closely with key melanoma people at MDA to discuss both what a melanoma program could look like and how we can collaborate to make such a program successful.  Today MDA announced that melanoma will be one of the cancers chosen for this major investment of resources.

Neither of these announcements are new treatments or cures, but both developments have the potential to have a major impact in the fight against melanoma.  All in all, a very good day.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

Thank you for posting these two encouraging new developments! 

Tina

Tina D
          Participant

Tina

Tina D
            Participant

Tina

aldakota22
              Participant

Thank God melanoma was included in the "moonshot" research.This hopefully will get a cure to so many of us holding on and fighting till that day arrives.Also the carrot thrown in the mix for combined drug testing is alos something way overdue.The powers to be are finally getting something done right.Thanks Tim for posting the encouraging and soul lifting news we all need from time to time.Beat the Beast.  Al

Erinmay22
                  Participant

I saw on cnn today the article about MDA and their 5 focus areas:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/21/health/cancer-program/index.html?hpt=hp_c2 

audgator
                    Participant

The news piece I saw about this said that Sanjay Gupta will discuss this on his show Saturday @ 4:30, Eastern & Sunday, I forget the time but it was early AM.  TV tends to sensationalize things as breakthroughs so thanks, Tim, for keeping it real.

Dan

audgator
                      Participant

The news piece I saw about this said that Sanjay Gupta will discuss this on his show Saturday @ 4:30, Eastern & Sunday, I forget the time but it was early AM.  TV tends to sensationalize things as breakthroughs so thanks, Tim, for keeping it real.

Dan

audgator
                        Participant

Dan

POW
                          Participant

Hooray for the MRF!! You're doing a great job! Thanks for the important and encouraging updates. 

POW
                            Participant

Hooray for the MRF!! You're doing a great job! Thanks for the important and encouraging updates. 

POW
                              Participant

Erinmay22
                                Participant

Erinmay22
                                  Participant

aldakota22
                                  Participant

Thank God melanoma was included in the "moonshot" research.This hopefully will get a cure to so many of us holding on and fighting till that day arrives.Also the carrot thrown in the mix for combined drug testing is alos something way overdue.The powers to be are finally getting something done right.Thanks Tim for posting the encouraging and soul lifting news we all need from time to time.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                                    Participant

Charlie S
                                      Participant

Although these two sound bites are widely available to anyone who reads, it is nice to see you post this information.

I truly do appreciate what you and the MRF do,  but I see a costant and gradual drift in the picture you paint and the brush you use.

If you would, tell me how this post engages or empowers a patient?

It strikes me as more of an advance of  the MRF position, but of of little use to the patient of today.

What about the ASCO advanced thoughts of Yervoy still not being endorsed as a mainstream treatment?   Even more, what are we seeing where it IS being endorsed?   What about what we are seeing in patient application of Zelboraf and what expectations based upon patient outcomes are we seeing?  What about C-Kit and Gleevec?

See, these things drive patient decisions, not some cosmic self promotion of the future.

Today, as it was at birth, this BB sought, strived, encouraged and more importantly gave people tools to work the melanoma problem. 

If it is not too much to ask; would you mind providing more of that which we can use and save your self accolades for other venues?

I'm being kind and restrained here with this post.  Please focus, Tim.

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                        Participant

Although these two sound bites are widely available to anyone who reads, it is nice to see you post this information.

I truly do appreciate what you and the MRF do,  but I see a costant and gradual drift in the picture you paint and the brush you use.

It strikes me as more of an advance of  the MRF position, but of of little use to the patient of today.

What about the ASCO advanced thoughts of Yervoy still not being endorsed as a mainstream treatment?   Even more, what are we seeing where it IS being endorsed?   What about what we are seeing in patient application of Zelboraf and what expectations based upon patient outcomes are we seeing?  What about C-Kit and Gleevec?

See, these things drive patient decisions, not some cosmic self promotion of the future.

Today, as it was at birth, this BB sought, strived, encouraged and more importantly gave people tools to work the melanoma problem. 

If it is not too much to ask; would you mind providing more of that which we can use and save your self accolades for other venues?

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                          Participant

Charlie S

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics