The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Small mole on thigh w/ two black spots

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Small mole on thigh w/ two black spots

Participant

Hello, I am new to the community.  I am writing because today I noticed a small mole on my thigh, circular, about the size of a pencil tip (one mm).  I think I may have had it before, but today it seemed to be a darker brown.  (I am fair-skinned, and all of my other moles tend to be light brown.)  Tonight I looked at it under a magnifying glass, and it seems to contain two tiny black dots, like blackheads or pin pricks.  That would account for its somewhat darker color. 

Does this sound like something I should be concerned about?

I'm seeing my primary care physician in two days on another matter, and I'm wondering if I should ask him to take it off and biopsy it, or whether instead I should make an appointment with one of the physician's assistants at the dermatology clinic I go to and have her do the excision.  Or does it make a difference whether a PCP or a dermatological PA does it, in terms of competency?  It might be several weeks before I can get an appointment with the physician's assistant.  Also, should I have a punch biopsy or have it sliced off?

Also, I'm assuming since it's so small, I'm probably in good shape, even if the biopsy should come back positive?  

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.   

Ben

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldrichdesigner
        Participant
          You need to get it looked at by a demotologist immediately. Call them and make sure you are very clear that you have a suspicious mole that may be melanoma, they should make exception and get you in a lot quicker. Only they can tell you for sure. And to be clear, size has absolutely zero to do with how good or bad a mole is. It can be as tiny as a pin prick but if it’s deep then it could have serious issues. Just do yourself a favor and get it looked at as soon as possible. Your PCP may not even biopsy/excise it without a dermatologist seeing you first, you’ll probably just get a referral. Call the dermatologist in the morning, don’t waste any time. Melanoma is not something to play cautiously with.
          aldrichdesigner
          Participant
            You need to get it looked at by a demotologist immediately. Call them and make sure you are very clear that you have a suspicious mole that may be melanoma, they should make exception and get you in a lot quicker. Only they can tell you for sure. And to be clear, size has absolutely zero to do with how good or bad a mole is. It can be as tiny as a pin prick but if it’s deep then it could have serious issues. Just do yourself a favor and get it looked at as soon as possible. Your PCP may not even biopsy/excise it without a dermatologist seeing you first, you’ll probably just get a referral. Call the dermatologist in the morning, don’t waste any time. Melanoma is not something to play cautiously with.
              Kalamazooan
              Participant

Thanks.  I will try to get in with the dermotologist, and will call Monday morning.   However, if my PCP agrees to excise & biopsy it Tuesday, wouldn't that be just as good? Or he might botch the excision?

aldrichdesigner
                Participant

Well, that's a call you would have to make for yourself. But think about it this way, a Derm does excisions everyday as well as examines moles everyday … how many times a month do you think your PCP does these things? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm just being honest with you. Just another reason why I don't think your PCP will do it either, and will most likely just refer you. So another reason would be to save you an extra medical bill through your PCP. 

As for the biopsy, either way they are sending it to the lab so your results will most likely be similar and if positive, they will most likely be excising margins anyway. But good luck and try not to get too freaked out anyway.

Kalamazooan
                  Participant

Thanks again, Aldrich.  I actually got in this morning w/ a physician’s assistant at the dermatology practice I go to; I had called first thing Monday morning for an appt, as you had recommended, and, as luck would have it, they’d had a cancellation; otherwise I was looking at the end of July for the soonest available appointment, even with their three PA’s.  Today the PA looked at the mole, measured it (1 mm), and said it was a perfectly normal mole. 

I mentioned that it was an “ugly duckling,” in that it looked different from all my other moles, which are light brown and fading into nothingness as I age.  This was very small and seemed to have gotten a bit darker.  She said moles sometimes do that, but offered to punch it out w/ a 3 mm. punch if that would ease my concerns.  One stitch and two minutes later, the deed was done.  I get the stitch out and results in two weeks’ time, although she seemed confident the report would be a mere formality. 

However, I am happy to have it out all the same, as I had a college roommate who died from melanoma many years ago, after having a mole on his sideburn misdiagnosed by a physician, who told him it was nothing to worry about.  I’ve spent way too much time over the past three days examining this little guy through a magnifying glass.  And despite having had this birthmark since, well, shortly after birth, and now having it suddenly gone—well, to quote the singer John Waite, “I ain’t missin’ you at all.” 

Good luck in your battle.  I will keep you in mind.

aldrichdesigner
                    Participant
                      That’s fantastic, here’s to positive or I guess rather negative test results on your punch biopsy.

Hope you get the closure you need and think you made a fantastic choice getting it biopsied anyway. It’s one extra bill but it can’t beat the peace of mind that it’s not melanoma. It’s not a good thing but you learned how dangerous this little nasty guy can be and most people don’t know unless like you they know someone. I have so many friends that this has just blown away because people don’t talk about skin cancer nearly enough.

Anyway, again … Good luck. And let us know the good news.

caman
                      Participant

With my experience with this thing, take the bull by the horn and dont depend on anyone.  Tell them its urgent and need to get this done.  Don't wait for them to do the insurance work for you,  you can expedite the process  by calling the insurance yourself.  No one will take the extra mile for you, they have other patients too.  I had my nodular diag and surgery done in 3weeks.  If i waited for them alone, my outcome would be a whole lot different.  You can have your foot on gas pedal and be nice at same time.  

wildpoppy
                      Participant

Hi there Ben

just wondered the outcome of your mole? I am going through something similar, very dark mole on leg, just under 1mm. 

Am at my GP, hoping they refer me! (UK)

hope it all turned out good?

Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics