The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SIRT

Participant

we may have a good option for my husband's treament of ocular melanoma that metastized to his liver.  SIRT at Emory in Atlanta.  It is readioembolization. Has anyone experienced this treatment?  Ocular melanoma is resistant to systemic chemo treatment, therefore there have been very few options.  He was not a candidate for liver resection so this blast to his tumors may work.  side effects are minimal and it only targets the liver….

we may have a good option for my husband's treament of ocular melanoma that metastized to his liver.  SIRT at Emory in Atlanta.  It is readioembolization. Has anyone experienced this treatment?  Ocular melanoma is resistant to systemic chemo treatment, therefore there have been very few options.  He was not a candidate for liver resection so this blast to his tumors may work.  side effects are minimal and it only targets the liver….

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        LizzM
        Participant

I had this treatment in 2003 at Emory. I don't have mel (son was the mel patient). I have primary liver cancer. It was a brand new procedure when I had it done. It wasn't too difficult. I had some side effects: a little nausea and some fatigue. The hardest part to me was being semi-isolated for a couple of weeks. I don't know if this is still the case, but my husband could not sleep in the same bed with me and my family could come in to see me but they couldn't stay in the room with me for an extended period of time. I was at home so it wasn't too bad but I didn't enjoy the isolation. Unfortunately, I didn't have a response to the treatment but again I do not have mel.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me. Dr. Redd was the radiation oncologist who did my SIRT and I just loved him. Good luck to your husband and let us know how he does.

~~Liz

jag
          Participant

The latest thing I have seen for Liver Tumors has been the Delcath System.  Here is a link to trials regarding it.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00096083?term=delcath&rank=2

Here is more about the Delcath System's recent results.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10775552/delcath-highlights-phase-iii-trial-results-presented-at-asco.html

jag
              Participant

I'm sorry, I didn't explain it, basically the Delcath system is one of the first treatments to show a significant improvement in overall survival for ocular melanoma patients in years.  I shouldn't just throw up links like that and leave it for you to figure out.

Best

John

(E-mail me if you have any further questions)

sselig
              Participant

Hello,

My husband had sir-spheres to his liver for ocular melanoma mets almost 3 years ago (at the age of 35) and, combined with radio-frequency ablation to the residual tumor about a year later, his liver has been free of tumor since then.

If you haven't done so already, please look at the Ocular Melanoma Foundation (OMF) webpage: http://www.ocularmelanoma.org and our patient forum on the site in case this would be helpful to you.  At this time (8/2010) we have about 1000 members on the patient forum and it is growing every day.

I hope the sirsphers treatment is as successful for your husband has it has been for mine.

Best,

Sara

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics