The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Shave biopsy

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Shave biopsy

Participant

I had melanoma stage 1. Everything has been fine. At my last apt I had a shave biopsy of a mole. It was done before I knew it and I thought she was going to punch biopsy it. Anyway some of the mole was left over. It was completely benign which I was thankful for. My question is should I be concerned about the left over part if it's not growing. This was a very dark mole and pretty large. What's left is like a freckle. I really don't want to go through another biopsy. In the future I'll have them all excised if needed. Thanks.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MrG
        Participant

I can't answer but I have the same question.  It came back as a pigmented mole but given the location (lower back/upper butt) I'd like to know if I should get it totally removed since the shave didn't get everything.  

Janner
          Participant

For a benign lesion, I wouldn't bother.  Even if it grows back, it's unlikely anything special but still worth showing to a derm.  But I wouldn't (personally) do a re-excision for a benign lesion.  Do what makes YOU feel comfortable!

Gene_S
              Participant

Janner what is the other group you have been involved with that is mainly for Stage I people.  I recently came upon someone that is Stage I and would like to recommend it to her.

Janner
                Participant

It's a private email group but is no longer active.  I'm no longer recruiting or adding people.  Most of the participants already moved on and are no longer actively concerned about melanoma.  Sorry.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Thanks Janner

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics