The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Severe atypical mole excision

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Severe atypical mole excision

Participant
      Hello, I know this really isn’t the best place to be asking this but I don’t really know where else to go. I had a mole removed that came back severely atypical and my dermatologist told me I have to go in and get it all taken out. I forgot to ask how much would be taken out and how big of a cut I should expect. It’s scheduled for this week and I’m just wondering if I’ll be able to go to work after. I’m a server. Any one who had this done that can give me some insight that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        tedtell1
        Participant
          Hi;
          When they do a WLE, wide local excision, they want to ensure you have clear margins, so it will be a pretty large incision depending on the size of the original mole. I guess going back to work and discomfort, difficulties really depend on where the excision is located. Mine was on the back of my left shoulder, so I went to work the next day. I am a teacher though, so was able to sit down a good bit. You being a server might find that more challenging. You will just have to see how it feels. Good luck and here’s hoping you never have melanoma, just nasty moles!
          Ted
            Brookemarrie
            Participant
              Thanks so much for the reply! He didn’t say anything about a wle so I guess I just wasn’t expected a huge incision…this is what I get for not asking more questions I guess ! The mole was right in the middle of my back so not sure how uncomfortable I’ll be I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. Thank you !
              ed williams
              Participant
                Here is a link to a video that explains margins for melanoma patients and how surgeon decides on margins, first 6 min are on topic that you are asking about. I hope this helps!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7X8v6HvfMg
          Viewing 0 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics