The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Round 2 ipi – 1st infusion

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Round 2 ipi – 1st infusion

Participant

Well back from Florida after enjoying the good weather, and, of course, where I suffered from scananxiety, nothing is easy.  In November, after completing round 1 with ipi, my CT scan had shown a growth in my left groin…WHATT??   Anyways, doctors believed the beast had metasticized there but thanks to suggestions (thanks fellow ipi warriors) I'm thinking might that lymph node was reacting, I have tried to stay calm.

Well back from Florida after enjoying the good weather, and, of course, where I suffered from scananxiety, nothing is easy.  In November, after completing round 1 with ipi, my CT scan had shown a growth in my left groin…WHATT??   Anyways, doctors believed the beast had metasticized there but thanks to suggestions (thanks fellow ipi warriors) I'm thinking might that lymph node was reacting, I have tried to stay calm. So after completing the first round of 4 infusions, my cutaneous lesions were drying up and disappearing GREAT since I had over 100 now very few but during the past few months, I saw numerous sub-qs coming up, rather like boils on my right left.  Here's CT scan report and PET concurred.

The lung bases appear unremarkable.
      The liver, gallbladder, bile ducts, adrenals, kidneys, pancreas, and spleen are unremarkable.
      No abnormality is noted in the bowel. No ascites. Unchanged post-operative scar in the right inguinal region. A right external iliacnode previously measuring 9 mm short axis, today measures 9 mm short axis. There has been interval increase in size of a left inguinal node which previously measured 2.6 x 3.0 cm. Today this measures 4.3 x 6.1 cm. No other enlarged abdominal or pelvic nodes are appreciated.
      No destructive lesion in the bones of the abdomen.
      IMPRESSION:
      Significant interval increase in size of a left inguinal lymph node, as described above. Otherwise no change. 

So happy no observation in my organs, good reason to celebrate. The Pet scan showed a lot of activity in right leg, they now think it might possibly be good activity (but, of course they are not sure) and perhaps the left groin is reacting as well (but it also might be bad news)…short of a biopsy they can't tell.  They won't remove any lymph nodes in left since my my melanoma is systemic and needs to be solved via drugs rather than surgery so they are leaving it.  Well anyways all this news, enabled me to re-apply for 2nd round.  I am still hoping that left groin problem is a swollen lymph node or, at the very least, the ipi will attack it.

Thanks to all the support of fellow ipi warriors especially, Jerry, Jim M, Jim B and Jim in Denver, and Donna.  Sharyn, I'm hoping you'll be joining me soon, I gave Michele a big smile for you when I had my first infusion.

Here's how I feel:

Round 1 :  Val 1  Mel 0 (down for a few counts)

AND for Round 2 what I want : Val 2  Mel 0 (down forever)

Val -Stage IV

off to bed again..rather tired this time around

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        ValinMtl
        Participant

Should mention last CT and PET scan was February after first in November.

ValinMtl
          Participant

Should mention last CT and PET scan was February after first in November.

Jim M.
            Participant

Congratulations Val on the lack of activity in your organs. I'm praying the activity in your leg and groin is due to Ipi working (your immune system working) to rid your body of mel. Thank you for your support as well!! We are in this together.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Vermont_Donna
                Participant

Hi Val,

My last PET/CT scan, two weeks after ipi dose #4 showed inflammatroy response to the Ipi, and also show a new moderately hypermetabolic lymph node or two in the external iliac region…my oncologist said they would read that as response to the Ipi, and I will be rescanned in May and hopefully start round two or Ipi…but now with the FDA approval, not sure there is a round two of Ipi, and I know the clinical trial continues for a minimum of 30 days…I'll still be in my watch and wait. So lots of new questions. I am hoping that your leg is just showing the inflammatory response! You are back to winter here, should have brought some warm sunny weather from Florida!!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna 

ValinMtl
                  Participant

Thanks for this information Donna…it puts my overactive mind at rest a little.  Yep, not warm up here..Bill's setting up for his maple syrup run up near Tremblant, I'll join him in a few days.  Val

ValinMtl
                    Participant

Thanks for this information Donna…it puts my overactive mind at rest a little.  Yep, not warm up here..Bill's setting up for his maple syrup run up near Tremblant, I'll join him in a few days.  Val

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Hi Val,

My last PET/CT scan, two weeks after ipi dose #4 showed inflammatroy response to the Ipi, and also show a new moderately hypermetabolic lymph node or two in the external iliac region…my oncologist said they would read that as response to the Ipi, and I will be rescanned in May and hopefully start round two or Ipi…but now with the FDA approval, not sure there is a round two of Ipi, and I know the clinical trial continues for a minimum of 30 days…I'll still be in my watch and wait. So lots of new questions. I am hoping that your leg is just showing the inflammatory response! You are back to winter here, should have brought some warm sunny weather from Florida!!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna 

Jim M.
                      Participant

Congratulations Val on the lack of activity in your organs. I'm praying the activity in your leg and groin is due to Ipi working (your immune system working) to rid your body of mel. Thank you for your support as well!! We are in this together.

God Bless,

Jim M.

LynnLuc
                        Participant

Very good news and yes the weather is awesome here in Florida…it has been high 80's and sometimes TOO warm for my liking!!

LynnLuc
                          Participant

Very good news and yes the weather is awesome here in Florida…it has been high 80's and sometimes TOO warm for my liking!!

Sharyn
                            Participant

Hi Val!

That all sounds great! And I'm delighted you're back in ipi. I had my post-craniotomy SRS on Wed, and I've received the CD of CT scans done in Montreal, and given them to the hospital so the radiologist can do a proper report with comparisons. Once that's done, Dr M will decide if I'm to restart ipi. Is your next infusion on Apr 14? I have a ticket for Mtl on the 13th, so hopefully I can convince them to have me start then, and we'll be infusion buddies. :>) I'll let you know as soon as I hear.

Hugs

Sharyn

ValinMtl
                                Participant

Yep, April 14th is my next one…Would be great if you can join me, I'm at 11:30 am.  Val

ValinMtl
                                  Participant

Yep, April 14th is my next one…Would be great if you can join me, I'm at 11:30 am.  Val

Sharyn
                                  Participant

Hi Val!

That all sounds great! And I'm delighted you're back in ipi. I had my post-craniotomy SRS on Wed, and I've received the CD of CT scans done in Montreal, and given them to the hospital so the radiologist can do a proper report with comparisons. Once that's done, Dr M will decide if I'm to restart ipi. Is your next infusion on Apr 14? I have a ticket for Mtl on the 13th, so hopefully I can convince them to have me start then, and we'll be infusion buddies. :>) I'll let you know as soon as I hear.

Hugs

Sharyn

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics