The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

RIP Jenna

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community RIP Jenna

Participant

UC Berkeley Junior, 20, Dies After Battle With Melanoma

Photo: Jenna Bockmiller

Colleen Hildeburn/Courtesy

Jenna Boc

UC Berkeley Junior, 20, Dies After Battle With Melanoma

Photo: Jenna Bockmiller

Colleen Hildeburn/Courtesy

Jenna Bockmiller

Described as an avid indie rock lover, an active sorority member and an unfaltering friend, UC Berkeley junior Jenna Bockmiller died after a six-year battle with melanoma on Saturday. She was 20 years old.

Friends said Bockmiller, a sister of the Delta Delta Delta sorority and intended psychology major, pursued her interests, including her devotion to music, despite the significant burden of frequent doctors' appointments and treatments for her illness.

"She had the best taste in music," said Delta Delta Delta President Joyce Chang. "She was the one who introduced me to Coachella. That says a lot."

According to UCLA junior Piper Akol, Bockmiller taught herself to play guitar and piano and would spend time helping with her brother's band as well as attending and working at concerts. She said Bockmiller got to meet the Strokes – one of her favorite bands – through the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Akol, one of Bockmiller's best friends since middle school, said Bockmiller did not allow her illness to control her life and was able to complete all requirements in time to graduate with her high school class despite the time restraints of being a melanoma patient.

"She was very resilient," Akol said. "She was not dealt a great hand in life. Most people don't have to deal with this … But she didn't complain. She was honest, enthusiastic, funny, everything a girl could want in a best friend."

Friends said Bockmiller demonstrated her dependability and enthusiasm through her participation in her sorority.

"Even if she was tired and wasn't feeling that well, if she had committed to helping out at an event or something, she was there and she helped," Chang said.

Bockmiller's battle with cancer began when she was diagnosed at age 14, toward the end of eighth grade. Radiation treatments damaged her spinal cord, making walking difficult and running impossible, impacting her love for athletics like track and field. She was in remission for about four years before relapsing her freshman year at UC Berkeley.

"I felt like she was wiser about everything, about life in general, because of her experiences," said UC Berkeley junior Eileen Libove. "Jenna never let petty things upset her."

In 2008, Bockmiller received a Courage Award from the Melanoma Research Foundation. Melanoma survivor Suzanne Lescure, who met Bockmiller through the foundation, said Bockmiller's mother was extremely involved with the foundation and dedicated to helping her daughter overcome the cancer.

On a personal online fundraising page that encourages donations for the Melanoma Research Foundation, Bockmiller wrote earlier this year about how her illness changed how she perceived her life.

"I have an appreciation for life that many other people my age don't," Bockmiller wrote. "I look at every day as a blessing and the things that I do, no matter if it's something I want to do or not, is something I get to do, and am therefore grateful."

Bockmiller's memorial service will be held on Nov. 13 at Moraga Valley Presbyterian Church at 11 a.m.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Laurie from maine
        Participant

Thank you for posting this.  To see her young face makes it very real for me.  This disease is horrible but even more so when I see the young lives it is taking.  The unfairness is beyond me.  She sounded like a wonderful person living her life despite having melanoma how courageous.  Her family is in my thoughts and prayers

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
          Participant

Thank you for posting this.  To see her young face makes it very real for me.  This disease is horrible but even more so when I see the young lives it is taking.  The unfairness is beyond me.  She sounded like a wonderful person living her life despite having melanoma how courageous.  Her family is in my thoughts and prayers

laurie from maine

LizzM
            Participant

Beautiful girl. I HATE this disease!!

~~Liz

LizzM
              Participant

Beautiful girl. I HATE this disease!!

~~Liz

Linda/Kentucky
                Participant

What a wonderful girl she must have been.  So very sad to see this happen to anyone but especially someone so young and vibrant.  Prayers to her family and friends who are mourning their loss.  I pray that because of ALL the melanoma warriors past and present we can use the treatments, trials, side effects, and experiences from this disease to help others diagnosed in the future.  Thanks to you Jenna for your contribution~~~

Linda/Kentucky (wife stage IV)

Linda/Kentucky
                  Participant

What a wonderful girl she must have been.  So very sad to see this happen to anyone but especially someone so young and vibrant.  Prayers to her family and friends who are mourning their loss.  I pray that because of ALL the melanoma warriors past and present we can use the treatments, trials, side effects, and experiences from this disease to help others diagnosed in the future.  Thanks to you Jenna for your contribution~~~

Linda/Kentucky (wife stage IV)

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics