The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

“Ring the Bells that Still can Ring….” – a thank you

Forums Caregiver Community “Ring the Bells that Still can Ring….” – a thank you

Participant

I want to thank the remarkable people – patients, caregivers, and everyone else – from this board for their unending support during the time Will was fighting this disease and now, for your overwhelming kindness to me. 

Having lived in Israel & Australia, where melanoma is epidemic, I long had a fear of this disease.  3 years ago, I lost one of my dearest friends to it, after a courageous 9 month battle during which the cancer responded to absolutely nothing.  As she was guardian to her brother's 3 children – he and his wife had been killed in a car accident a year before – this disease seemed to me a vicious, relentless thief.

Will, and his fight, became a part of me in a way that I guess only caregivers can quite understand.  No matter where I was or what I was doing, all of my love and attention really belonged to him.   Will's lifelong fight for autonomy and independence astonished me in it's focus, and he brought the same courage to the fight against this disease.  But he could not do the research, find the resources, and weigh the many variables needed to really battle this monster, and that is where you all provided the most invaluable help.  My only regret is that I didn't find this board far earlier, and that is a profound regret. 

Right now I am feeling, as Jung said, "a fatal resistence to life in this world."  I miss him too desperately to imagine getting through this day, let alone those which may come.  For anyone who didn't know Will, but might like to, here are two – very incomplete – pieces I wrote about him

I will keep checking this board because I care so about all of you and because I need to stay connected to you.   I owe all of you more than I could ever possibly repay.
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Pat from Ohio
        Participant

Hi Lori.  You have been a good friend and wonderful support system for Will.  I know you have other family and now is the time to rejoice in their love and health.  You have done all you can for Will.  He would want you to live your life to the fullest nowl.

Pat from Ohio
          Participant

Hi Lori.  You have been a good friend and wonderful support system for Will.  I know you have other family and now is the time to rejoice in their love and health.  You have done all you can for Will.  He would want you to live your life to the fullest nowl.

Fen
            Participant

I'll be thinking about you in the days ahead, Lori. I can't imagine your sense of loss and pain, but I hope it lessens as time goes on.  I hope you'll still visit the board and dispense your kind wisdom.

Fen
              Participant

I'll be thinking about you in the days ahead, Lori. I can't imagine your sense of loss and pain, but I hope it lessens as time goes on.  I hope you'll still visit the board and dispense your kind wisdom.

rj
                Participant

I YOU, my dear, are the remarkable one.  I read about Will and then read about Brown schools.  I am so glad he found a friend like you.  In a very dark life, you must have been a shining beacon.  God bless you for being such a friend and caregiver.  God bless Will. 

Betsy

rj
                  Participant

I YOU, my dear, are the remarkable one.  I read about Will and then read about Brown schools.  I am so glad he found a friend like you.  In a very dark life, you must have been a shining beacon.  God bless you for being such a friend and caregiver.  God bless Will. 

Betsy

Sherron
                    Participant

Oh Lori, just read all this….You were a bright and Shining Star for Will.  You were such a wonderful friend and advocate for him.  May God bless you and ease the pain in your heart…and always know Will is in your heart forever.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Sherron
                      Participant

Oh Lori, just read all this….You were a bright and Shining Star for Will.  You were such a wonderful friend and advocate for him.  May God bless you and ease the pain in your heart…and always know Will is in your heart forever.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Viewing 7 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics