The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recommendation for Melanoma Surgeon in SoCal needed

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Recommendation for Melanoma Surgeon in SoCal needed

Participant

I was diagnosed with MIS on the center of my nose and after my initial shock thought this would be straightforward: excision with some reconstruction. 

It turns out that an melanoma excision on the nose is challenging: Excision requires experience with the proper technique that not every dermatologist has and many plastic surgeons don't want to do any melanoma related reconstruction. 

I've figured out by now from multiple consults that I would need someone who's specialized in using Mohs for Melanoma, which is rare. Moh's surgery is used typically for other skin cancers, not melanoma. The type of Moh's is controversial too, with or without histochemical stain, etc. 

I need recommendations for a Moh's trained surgeon who is highly experienced in applying the technique for Melanoma; plus a plastic surgeon, plus a good oncologist – I actually have by now 3 primary cancers: breast, SCC, and melanoma and am told that that is not a good thing. Any recommendations are much appreciated. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MattF
        Participant

Dr Ellie Mogami 

City Of hope Cancer Center 

in Duarte outside Los Angeles

she is Chief of Head and Neck Cancer Surgery

Call new patient line and they will do records and set it up etc.

michaelinsocal
            Participant

I would check with Dr David Hyams who works out of Eisenhower, one of the largest and renown hospitals in CA (though it's all the way out in the Coachella Valley. He is a very capable surgical oncologist who did my multiple surgeries. Mine was on the ankle and leg do you would need to check with your special circumstance. 

On a side note, I sought a second opinion on my original diagnosis at the start of 2014 with the Coty of Hope in Duarte and at that time they flatly told me they don't handle Melanoma patients anymore as they head medical team that treated Melanoma had left for another facility in Santa Monica. I was quite shocked and disappointed.

Best of luck 

mike

michaelinsocal
              Participant

Excuse the typos, I'm on a mobile device. 

Well wishes

mike

michaelinsocal
                Participant

Well wishes

mike

michaelinsocal
                  Participant

Well wishes

mike

michaelinsocal
                    Participant

I would check with Dr David Hyams who works out of Eisenhower, one of the largest and renown hospitals in CA (though it's all the way out in the Coachella Valley. He is a very capable surgical oncologist who did my multiple surgeries. Mine was on the ankle and leg do you would need to check with your special circumstance. 

On a side note, I sought a second opinion on my original diagnosis at the start of 2014 with the Coty of Hope in Duarte and at that time they flatly told me they don't handle Melanoma patients anymore as they head medical team that treated Melanoma had left for another facility in Santa Monica. I was quite shocked and disappointed.

Best of luck 

mike

michaelinsocal
                      Participant

Best of luck 

mike

MattF
                      Participant

Dr Ellie Mogami 

MattF
                        Participant

Dr Ellie Mogami 

kylez
                          Participant

I don't know if you'd want to head up north (SF) for something like this. I also have no idea how long the recovery would need to be be. In the event you don't find somebody in SoCal … I see my oncologist and dermatlogist at UCSF's Melanoma Center and am very happy there. I'd expect their surgeons to do a great job too. Seven surgeons are part of the melanoma center: http://www.ucsfhealth.org/clinics/melanoma_center/. Four areare also listed as experts in Mohs surgery, on UCSF's Moh's info page here: http://www.ucsfhealth.org/treatments/mohs_micrographic_surgery/index.html

It seems like there should be a similar level of expertise closer to you too though, given the several large cancer centers in SoCal.

kylez
                            Participant

I don't know if you'd want to head up north (SF) for something like this. I also have no idea how long the recovery would need to be be. In the event you don't find somebody in SoCal … I see my oncologist and dermatlogist at UCSF's Melanoma Center and am very happy there. I'd expect their surgeons to do a great job too. Seven surgeons are part of the melanoma center: http://www.ucsfhealth.org/clinics/melanoma_center/. Four areare also listed as experts in Mohs surgery, on UCSF's Moh's info page here: http://www.ucsfhealth.org/treatments/mohs_micrographic_surgery/index.html

It seems like there should be a similar level of expertise closer to you too though, given the several large cancer centers in SoCal.

kylez
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics