The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recently Diagnosed Stage 1

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Recently Diagnosed Stage 1

Participant
      Hi! I am 27 and I was diagnosed with melanoma at the beginning of this month. It was located on my lower back with a thickness of 0.3mm. I had a WLE two weeks ago and actually go to have my stitches removed tomorrow. While I know I am so lucky they caught this early, I can’t help but worry they’re missing something or there’s a chance the primary they found is actually in my lymph nodes.

I’m trying to stay positive, because I have read so many success stories of the newest options for treatments and it seems promising if I were to get a further staged diagnoses.

I mentioned to my dermatologist (who specializes in Mohs surgery and skin cancer) that I was concerned I should have a lymph node biopsy done. He said he didn’t feel that was necessary on a lesion this small. While I’m sure he knows what he’s doing, I can’t help but worry that the melanoma has spread.

My boyfriend thinks I’m absolutely bananas because in his head he thinks “they cut it out of you. It’s gone. It’s done. Move on.” And I wish that I could, but I am so anxious and cannot stop googling.

I’ll try to get some info like the miotic rate and if there was ulceration at my follow-up tomorrow. I do know it was classified as Clark Level 3. I’ve read things that say Clark level doesn’t matter…I’ve researched so much I don’t even know what to believe at this point.

My main concern is am I crazy for wanting a SLNB done with a melanoma so thin? I think I’m probably being paranoid, but every little abnormal blemish I see I take a picture of. Is this much anxiety normal? If you have ANY advice on how to stay calm/not panic with life after (or with!) melanoma, I am more than happy to hear it!

-Amber

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        QuietPoet
        Participant
          Dear Anon (it’s always nice when users choose a user name so we have an idea who we’re writing to),
          You are not crazy. You are understandably worried because hearing you have a cancer is a scary thing. That said, it’s extremely unlikely that a lesion would spread at 0.3 mm. Mine was also o.3 mm. I can’t say I don’t still worry — but what I worry about is whether any of my other moles might be melanoma (so I always go through the stage before my next fully body check about whether I should ask the doctor to take something off even if they aren’t worried about it). However, it’s truly unlikely (as in probably about 98% at least) that anything would spread at that depth.

This board is a nice place to come when one’s loved ones don’t understand the anxiety. It’s hard to explain to another person the fear about something else creeping around like a weed in your body, but truly — it’s highly unlikely. My WLE was 2 years ago, and all has been well since then. Feel free to DM me if you like.

Breathe deep, give yourself a hug, and don’t Google.
          Erika

QuietPoet
            Participant
              Ooops! Now I see your name is Amber. Ignore my first comment. All of the above plus,
              “Dear Amber,”
              amberstewart
              Participant
                Thank you so much, Erika! I certainly share your fear of other moles I have being melanoma. I have a lot of abnormal moles. I’m trying to keep calm and not google! It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who has fears about other melanomas. Even though (from what I’ve read) it’s somewhat rare for people to have multiple primary melanomas, I know I’ve noticed a lot of people here have had multiple. I have a few moles that I personally am keeping an eye on. I know melanoma is a lot easier to treat if it’s caught early.

I spent my teens and early 20s laying in tanning beds. I’ve had a decent amount of sunburns. I figured I’d eventually get BCC or Squamous, but never thought I’d get melanoma (at least not this early). I have red hair, blue eyes, fair skin, and my grandfather had melanoma. So, I check nearly every box that doctors use to identify people at risk. I can’t help but feel I did this to myself with some of my tan-chasing habits. I do live in Alabama where it is HOTTTT pretty much all the time, so some sun exposure is going to happen. We also live on the lake. But I am certainly taking UV rays much more seriously these days.

Thank you so much for your kind words! It truly means so much!

Alce123
              Participant
                Just thought that I would chime in to help alleviate your fears. I was diagnosed with stage 1a in July 2016 ( depth of 0.44) at the age of 31. Not only have I not had a reoccurance or any other even mildly dysplastic moles, but I had a baby last December!
                I was just as anxious as you when I read first diagnosed and still worry when I’m sick or have a funky mole but, overall, melanoma has impacted my life very little.
                Go through the motions but keep in mind that you will likely go back to your normal life after that initial shock wears off 🙂
                  Momand2kids
                  Participant
                    Hi
                    I was recently diagnosed as well– and I had a couple of prior low level cancers (breast and thyroid) but this really freaked me out–I have always been watched closely (every 6 months) by derms and have been really good about no sun exposure, etc. I wouldn’t beat yourself up over this…. one thing I learned with breast cancer is that there is often no rhyme or reason. It does seem like you have an excellent prognosis and you will continue to be vigilant. I would suggest that if you find you really are continuing to have a hard time, you may want to see a counselor. I found that immensely helpful when I had breast cancer and it helped me move past what I would call “the terror”…. and as someone said, I got back to my original life. You will too…. it is still early in the game. Also, if you are really concerned, you could consult with one of the NCI cancer centers if there is one near you… that might also alleviate your worry. Everyone in life is walking around with something they have to pay attention to-diabetes, high blood pressure, genetic illnesses, autoimmune stuff—I hope you can get some peace as you move through this.
                    amberstewart
                    Participant
                      Momand2kids…you’re awesome! I can’t imagine going through 2 other types of cancer as well as melanoma! What a trooper!

There are people with much worse prognosis than mine, so I do feel grateful for that. I have thought about seeing a therapist or counselor. I have some friends who have done it for a season, and then I have friends who go every week. They’ve also said it’s been great for them, so thank you for suggesting that! Your words are so appreciated!!

momand2girls
                      Participant
                        Thanks- not so awesome– pretty mucha as we go along in life– things happen. Lots of things. I cannot recommend counseling enough… I had met this therapist when my dad died and I needed some help- thne when I was diagnosed I found out that she specialized in breast cancer….what a gift that was— and . I have been back to see her after each diagnosis and anything else in my life that created real challenges. Really helped me keep my perspective. You will be ok…
                        amberstewart
                        Participant
                          Thank you so much! This was reassuring to hear. Initially after my diagnosis, I feared that having children might not be an option (I’ve heard that sometimes pregnancy can trigger dormant cancer cells…not sure about stats or anything). I feel hopeful that I’ll move past it one day at a time, but I’m still a little paranoid. Congrats on your little bundle!!!
                        LRS88
                        Participant
                          Hi Amber,
                          I am going through a very similar experience as you are. I am 31 years old and I had melanoma that arose from a pre-existing mole removed at the end of March. It was diagnosed as stage T1a- .5mm. I had a WLE done which contained no residual melanoma. The plan now is for me to have skin exams 3-4 times a year. I am so worried about so much. Since they did not do a lymph node biopsy there is cancer hiding out somewhere? Do I have melanoma somewhere else? Will I get another one? Will I be able to have another baby? I am really struggling to deal with this, it has really shaken me. I know I am lucky to have the melanoma be classified as T1a and I know there are plenty of people with greater obstacles. My father-in-law is currently battling a very serious form of cancer and has such a positive attitude and approach I feel guilty talking or thinking about it. I hope time can alleviate some of these feelings but just know I am feeling the same way as you. I hope that we are both able to deal with these feelings and I wish you continued health!
                            amberstewart
                            Participant
                              Same to you, LRS88!! I’m just taking it day by day and trying to find comfort in statistics (such a small chance of it spreading to my lymph nodes). But it’s difficult. I’m trying to stay positive and just monitor my existing moles. I actually was having so much anxiety that I gave myself a stomach ulcer…but until I had a doctor confirm it was an ulcer I was just SO SURE the melanoma had spread to my abdomen. It didn’t, but that seems to be where my mind goes anytime I have an ache or pain now. Please know that I am praying for you! Your peace of mind and also your father-in-law! I am glad to hear that he’s in great spirits because I just don’t know if I could ever do that….I’m a worrier by nature. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you ever need to talk!
                              Mom1021
                              Participant
                                Hi Amber and LRS88! I think we are in the same age bracket of mid 30’s and I thought I would reach out. I recently was dx with Melanoma In Situ. It rocked my world. My mom passed away in 2014 from a rare cancer and I feel lost. I’m worried ALL the time. I have so many moles and freckles how can I possibly keep track. I want them all removed! I’m always afraid. My son plays baseball and I’m worried to even be in the sun to watch his games. I keep feeling like there just be another spot just hiding. I have dark thick hair and I feel like they don’t even thoroughly examine my scalp. I have moles and spots everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I had my first post op full body exam on 10/1 and I’m still in panic mode. I can’t imagine doing this every 3 months. Ugh. It’s horrible.
                                LRS88
                                Participant
                                  Hi Christina! I COMPLETELY understand how you feel. I promise it does get easier. At first the dermatologist visits every 3 months do seem daunting, but I have had 3 follow-ups now and even another mole removal (which was just an atypical mole not melanoma) and it does get easier. I was an absolute mess for a couple months after my diagnosis, but time does start to heal you! I went on vacation this summer and took my kids outside and to the pool, I was always reapplying sunscreen (on me and my kids!) and I always wore a hat and tried to stay under umbrellas/shade when possible, but I still lived and had a great time! The odds are definitely in your favor that melanoma will not give you any more trouble. I understand how your mother’s cancer can impact how you are feeling. My mother in law had a rare blood disease and now my father in law is battling a very rare cancer, so for a while I definitely was thinking “why wouldn’t the 2% apply to me”… but as I said time does make it easier to deal with! Hang in there!
                            Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics