The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recent Biopsy results, not sure what they mean?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Recent Biopsy results, not sure what they mean?

Participant
      A while back my Wife noticed an odd little mole on my neck, we weren’t sure what it was because I am prone to skin tags in that area and ever so often I mutilate one on accident while shaving. I had my PCP do a biopsy of it, then I just never head back from his office so I assumed it was nothing. While in for a routine appointment today I asked for the results out of curiosity. I was told that it was a Compoun Melanocytic Nevus with mild architectural atypia. My physician didn’t seem worried and said just make sure it doesn’t come back, but I didn’t get much more information and am still a bit confused.

The full report says;

Gross description
      Specimen is received in formalin, labeled with multiple patient identifiers and consists of one piece of tissue measuring 0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1 cm, irregular in shape and tan brown in color. The margins are inked green. The specimen is submitted in one cassette.

Diagnosis
      Compound Melanocytic Nevus with mild architectural atypia, extending to the biopsy margin.

Comment
      Clinical correlation/follow up is recommended.

———–

I’m not sure what to make of all this? Is it a skin cancer of some sort? Just a slightly weird mole? I also remember the thing being a bit different in color than what the report says, I recall it being darker.
      I may not even be in the right place to be asking this question, and if I’m not I sincerely apologize. I simply saw melanocytic in the diagnosis and thought perhaps someone here might could explain better what I’m looking at.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        tedtell1
        Participant
          Yep, it is a “weird mole”. A compound nevus is the step between melanoma and an ordinary mole. The fact that it is “moderate” drives the decision to take no further action. Just keep paying attention to your moles and let your Derm know if one looks weird, grows rapidly or acts strangely.
          Ted
            NervousDude
            Participant
              Seems like many online get referred to a Derm for periodic checks after finding one of these, however I did not and don’t even have a Derm. Is this unusual? Perhaps something I should pursue with my GP?
            AnxiousDad
            Participant
              From my understanding…there are mild, moderate , and severe Atypical moles…. yours being only a mild one. That’s really great news. Just keep being vigilant…you hopefully will never have to worry about this again. I think with a ‘mild’ case, it’s pretty normal to not make a special derm appointment…just an annual skin check….and to be blunt…your best skin checker is your wife most likely. You guys caught that one…so keep checking and put your worry behind you. Dont over think this.
                NervousDude
                Participant
                  Thanks for the reply. I was starting to feel better but then I found out my granddad has had multiple skin cancers removed, melanomas I believe. However I he is naturally fair complected and stayed out in the sun constantly all the way until his 50’s often being so tan people thought he Mediterranean or Hispanic and my uncle on the same side has had several atypical moles removed over the years.
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics