The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Radiotherapy question.

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Radiotherapy question.

Participant

Hello All,

I don’t usually post, so for my background, I was diagnosed April/May 2015. Nodular melanoma 4.5mm, top of left calf. Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy positive at microscopic sub-capsular level and a staging of 3B. No additional treatment, doing watch-and-wait and have been NED for 3 years.

During the last month I was diagnosed with seminoma testicular cancer and had a “radical inguinal orchiectomy” to whip it out. Prognosis is very survivable and recent CT scan is clear of progression (actually scheduled for my melanoma follow-up). Part of the post-operative treatment for seminoma can be a few doses of targeted radiotherapy (relatively low dose), to reduce the risk of recurrence.

My question is: should I be concerned that the radiotherapy will hit my immune system and therefore increase the risk of a melanoma recurrence? Melanoma remains my most dangerous enemy. Watch-and-wait is also a valid option after seminoma but can depend on the characteristics of the tumour and I didn’t have that meeting with the doctors yet.

Thanks.
      Mark.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        jrtufo
        Participant

Good question-probably best asked of both your doctors.  Please post their responses.

MarkOasis
          Participant

To answer my own question. It seems that radiotherapy will chiefly impact ordinary white blood cells, whereas the T-cells and such-like, which are more important for keeping cancer in check, are not so affected. So, there is not an obvious scientific argument for radiotherapy being detrimental in this case. Although for my staging of resected testicular seminoma, we came to close monitoring as the preferred option. So considering the mm too, I am now monitoring two-for-the-price-of-one. 

Radiotherapy was offered as on option, but because the 80-85% of patients who would in-any-case not recur would receive unnecessary radiation, with some evidence that the treatment increases incidence of cardiovascular disease later in life, and with recurrent seminoma responding very well to subsequent treatment if necessary, the balance of the consensus is for watch-and-wait.

I was in two minds if to go for the radiotherapy for the seminoma. But the melanoma is still the most dangerous recurrence risk for me. So, conscious of the law of unintended consequences, and my current NED, I went with the "If it works don't fix it" approach.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics