The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about my pathology report; in situ or stage I?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Question about my pathology report; in situ or stage I?

Participant

Hi there,

First of all, English is not my native language, so please don't be distracted by my use of the language.

In 2013 I had a mole removed that had changed color on my right upper leg (<5 millimeters). My family doctor told me it was melanoma in situ, and told me that I needed to have a re-excision in hospital, because the cancerous tissue was too close to the border of the biopt. In the operating room however, I saw that someone had written 'stage I' on my chart. The surgeon told me she presumed it was stage I.

After a few excruciating weeks of waiting I got a good result back: there was no longer any evidence of malignancy found in the skin they removed during the surgery.  

Now, I'm at a point where I am trying to move on with my life. I'm finding this very hard, being worried a lot and always checking my skin and wondering if I am being alert or hypochondric about is. I also asked for the pathology report of the first mole removal, because I wish to understand what stage my melanoma was in.

The conclusion said that the pattern of melanocytic cells they saw in my skin was mostly something that would fit a melanoma in situ, however there was a focal laesion of 0,3 mm that was 'strongly suspect for beginning invasive growth'.

I keep wondering if the 0,3 mm is the Breslow thickness and if suspect means inconclusive or if it is just a eufemism for 'it is melanoma stage I'?

Can anyone help me?

It may seem arbitrary, but I can't seem to let this go, it is important to me.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

You could get another pathology opinion, but whether it is in situ or IA (if you had one invasive area to a depth of 0.3mm), if the other features of your pathology are positive (no regression, no ulceration, no mitosis) then it is a very low risk lesion.  The standard procedure if it were IA would be to have WLE (wide local excision) where they take 1cm margins.  Periodic followups with a dermatologist is standard. 

Barbara_R
            Participant

Thank you so much for your reply! The report stated no regression , no ulceration, no satellite leasions and no mitotic activity in the dermis, so that's good then. I had an excision with 2 cm margins because they weren't sure how big the  laesion was. Now I will just have to 'get back to normal', but it seems that I'm having more difficulty dealing with it now then I did shortly after the surgery.

Barbara_R
              Participant

Thank you so much for your reply! The report stated no regression , no ulceration, no satellite leasions and no mitotic activity in the dermis, so that's good then. I had an excision with 2 cm margins because they weren't sure how big the  laesion was. Now I will just have to 'get back to normal', but it seems that I'm having more difficulty dealing with it now then I did shortly after the surgery.

Barbara_R
                Participant

JC
                Participant

You could get another pathology opinion, but whether it is in situ or IA (if you had one invasive area to a depth of 0.3mm), if the other features of your pathology are positive (no regression, no ulceration, no mitosis) then it is a very low risk lesion.  The standard procedure if it were IA would be to have WLE (wide local excision) where they take 1cm margins.  Periodic followups with a dermatologist is standard. 

JC
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics