The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pregnancy and Severe Atypia

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Pregnancy and Severe Atypia

Participant
      Hi all,

I’m posting to see if anyone has similar experiences with pregnancy and atypical moles and to make sure I’m doing everything I can now to manage it. I was diagnosed with my first severely atypical while 9 months pregnant. I went back to clear the margins 2 weeks after my daughter was born. I know go back for full skin checks where some moles have been photographed every 3 months for at least 2 years since the latest atypical mole identified. In my next visit two more atypical moles were found and biopsied. One was classified as moderate atypia with concern for the margins. My dermatologist gave me the option to have it further removed or simply monitor it for regrowth until my next appointment in 3 months.

I’ve read the article someone here shared about the increased likelihood of melanoma with pregnancy and am thinking being overly cautious is favorable. Both my parents have had multiple melanomas removed as well. This is my second pregnancy and I might want another but am concerned I’m potentially putting my own health at more risk? I am definitely a bit nervous about all of this and would be so appreciative of any information folks are willing to share.

Thank you!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Lucygoose
        Participant
          Sounds like you are being as proactive as possible. Have you ever had melanoma?
          You must live your life. I am not familiar with increased risk with pregnancy, but I recall it was discussed sometime before on this board.
          Best of luck to you and your family.
            egamb001
            Participant
              I had a mild atypical when my firstborn was 2. Then 1 other mild, a mild-moderate and a severely atypical a year ago. My kids are now 9 and 5. Nine were all new moles, due to a bad burn I had in a tanning bed 8 years ago …that I regret everyday. I have very few moles in my body and all these have appeared after the burn and only in the area that was burned.

I wanted a third but have decided not to., due to the severe one. I have opinions from 2 dermatologists, one says go for it… the other says dermatologist are 50/50 on melanoma and pregnancy…. of course we did not have melanoma but I totally understand your concerns… I’ve been there, myself.

egamb001
            Participant
              Sorry I replied in the wrong location ___I had a mild atypical when my firstborn was 2. Then 1 other mild, a mild-moderate and a severely atypical a year ago. My kids are now 9 and 5. All were all new moles, due to a bad burn I had in a tanning bed 8 years ago …that I regret everyday. I have very few moles in my body and all these have appeared after the burn and only in the area that was burned.

I wanted a third baby but have decided not to., due to the severe one that really spiked my anxiety, it’s been over a year and I still think about this every day . I have opinions from 2 dermatologists, one says go for it… the other says dermatologist are 50/50 on melanoma and pregnancy…. of course we did not have melanoma but I totally understand your concerns… I’ve been there, myself and have been back and forth on the same thing…

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics