The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Possible Subungual Melanoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Possible Subungual Melanoma

Participant

I have had a faint dark line in my left thumb for quite some time. I was never concerned about it until I came across an article about nail changes and health. Now I am terrified that this could be something serious. I lost this nail when I was a kid after smashing my thumb in a car door. It grew back irregular but I have never experienced the discoloration. I noticed it probably a year ago. Could this be a subungual melanoma? Can nail trauma from 35 years ago manifest as a melanoma now? What are my next steps? Should I see my PCP or go straight to a dermatologist. Any encouragement is appreciated. Tried to post a picture of it but can’t figure out how. Thank you

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Rami
        Participant

Can someone please provide insight on this. For background I am a 42yo Hispanic with no family history of melanoma. Looking at the ABC etc criteria I have several factors. Please help. I’m happy to post a picture if I can figure out how.

A
            Participant

Please try not to panic, but you should see the dermatologist to check it out. In my opinion, to see the PCP will be a waste of time. 

Because you have this discoloration for about a year, did you notice any changes (e.g.., did it get darker, wider, longer, etc.)? It could be nothing, but you should see the dermatologist for your piece of mind. It would be good to see a picture. The best way is to post it somewhewre and provide the link to the image because it cannot be uploaded directly.

Rami
              Participant

Success was able to post one photo, thoughts are appreciated.

A
                Participant

I would not freak out over it: the line is faint and it does not extend to the nail bed (which is good!).
                  Having said that, it would be smart to see a dermatologist for a piece of mind. Good luck!

Rami
                  Participant

Thank you for your response! I did get in to see a dermatologist, after a very brief exam he stated I have meMelanonychia striata caused by a mole. The visit was very brief and I left feeling uneasy. He did not recommend a biopsy and said it was not subungual melanoma. Everything I have read about Melanonychia striata indicates that if there is not an immediate cause then a biopsy should be performed as it can be melanoma in its earliest stage. Would you recommend a second opinion? Thank you so much for your response. 

A
                    Participant

I woud probaby see another dermatologist for the second opinion if you feel that you are not comfortable/content with the first derm assessment. I would select the dermatologist who has an interest in pigmented lesions. Biopsy would  give you the definite answer so you stop looking at your nail and wonder what it is. The side effect of the nail biopsy is that the nail may not grow back as straight and nice and could be deformed. I would do what I believe will make me sleep better/not to think about it anymore. Just my 2 cents.

Rami
                      Participant

Thank you so much for responding, I really appreciate Kate it. I’ve scheduled a second opinion appt but it’s not for another 2 weeks…..trying to remain optimistic and off google in the interim. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics