The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Possible Reoccurrence??

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Possible Reoccurrence??

Participant

Hello everyone, 

I got an MRI on my foot last Monday because I have so much scar tissue on the bottom of my foot from surgery it is hard to tell if anything is there. Well I called today to see if they got my results and she said I need to come in. The report said “Within the plantar soft tissues between the first and second digits there is cutaneous and subcutaneous T1 effacement with only intermediate STIR signal within this region. Diffuse enhancement is seen throughout this region. This extends dorsally between the first and second digits extending to the dorsal aspect of the proximal second digit. This is somewhat amorphous in its shape without clear margins. This all immediately underlies the cutaneous market placed in the plantar aspect of the foot. No definitive wound. The flexor and extensor tendons are unremarkable and appear uninvolved. The musculature of the forefoot is within normal limits.”

i have an appointment Friday morning but if someone can give me any kind of insight I would appreciate it. If the melanoma did come back will I have to go through surgery again when I’m already on treatment? 

Thank you in advance!!!!

kris 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        WithinMySkin
        Participant
          Hi Kris – the bottom of the foot is such a tough spot!! Ugh! Scar tissue and healing can show up on scans with enhancement. As the body tries to heal, it sends extra blood and immune cells to the area, which can look like cancer activity. They may try and break up or remove the scar tissue to get a better look or watch and wait to let your body heal. My onc always said the guys who interpret scans overdo it due to lawsuits so don’t panic!

Wishing you good news on Friday!
          Lauren

SOLE
          Participant

Just want to add that my nodular acral amenalotic mel once removed from the bottom of my right foot took about a good year to fully heal. I had a very scary call about 6 months into the journey from my surgeon' assistants asking me to come back in because there was uptake at the surgery site seen on the PET scan. I was away in the South of France visiting when I received the call. I will not explain further, you get how the rest of the trip went. Anyway, it took two years for the PET scan not to show uptake there. Two years! It must have been the healing going on with inflammation detected. I know your scan is an MRI. I cant interpret what your report says but all I'm saying is; it takes a whole lot of time to fully heal down there. At my two year scan, i am still and fully NED… according to PET/CT scan… with their limit of detection. Please let us know your outcome. And feel free to reach out on email if you want. Acral melanoma is rare and there are just a few of us.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics