The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Please help

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Please help

Participant

Hi,

I recently noticed a mole on my back that was black but very tiny (2mm diameter).When I saw how dark it was I panicked. I dont know how long it's been there as its in the middle of my back and never noticed it before. I looked through some pics found it one a pic from 2 years ago, but it was from a far, so can't tell if it was as dark as it was before removal, but I don't think it looks dark in the pic, but hard to say… but it was definetly there 2 years ago. It was round, small, slightly raised and the concerning feature was it was very dark, much darker than my other moles. 

The derm seemed concerned and did a punch biospy, and now I am waiting. I am mentally prepared that this will come back as melanoma, and trying to learn as much as I can so that when the results come back I can have some idea of how to proceed. It is very scary time and I have never been under so much fear in my life. I hope it's ok to come here for support even though I haven't been diagnosed yet.

I may be grasping at hope, but what are the chances that a mole that is so small in diameter (2mm) could be very deep? If it has been changing color but not size or shape, could it be early stages? I read a few medical articles that say that small diameter moles are rarely invasive. I am a Mom of 2 young kids and I terrified that this small mole could be invasive. For the last 3 months I have noticed my lymph nodes under my collar bone to be tender, not hard or big, but just tender to touch. I am worried it has already mastized. 

Thanks for any help.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Waiting sucks – no way around it.  But honestly, we can't answer your questions.  And doing research now is counter-productive.  Research depends on knowing more about the lesion and you don't.  So honestly, you're better served by just waiting until you get the results.  If it is melanoma, get a copy of the pathology report.  THEN we can be helpful.  There is a lot of info out there (and here) when you have an actual diagnosed lesion complete with all the accompanying info.  Until then everything is total speculation.  The good new is that you've had a biopsy!

hellokitty1
          Participant

Biopsies can be very stressful, especially if it's your first one, and you have no idea what to expect. The waiting is just terrible, and the internet is like a black hole of fear. It might be in your best interest to stay off the internet until you get results. But I'm hardly one to judge on that account…

I know exactly what you're going through, because I'll be doing it myself in two days. I have a mole that doesn't fit any ABCDE criteria, nor is it firm like a nodular, but it's darker than my other moles and my derm is weary of dark moles. I oscilate between telling myself it's fine and freaking out. It's very good you had this biopsied. Don't read too much into the concern a derm does or does not show, in my experience that doesn't correlate with the lab results. And it's impossible to tell change from a casual photograph.

Obviously lab results are king, but I think your chances of good news is high. And no matter what happens, you'll handle it. I wouldn't worry about the lymph nodes. I get stuff like that all the time and am cancer free.

stanjuza
              Participant

Thank you for replying, it means alot. My derm was also very concerned when she saw how dark this mole was. My only "hope" that is keeping me off the ledge is that this mole was tiny (2mm) not very raised, so I am hoping that small means not as invasive, which I guess even smaller diameter moles can still be very deep, but I am hoping not. 

If you don't mind me asking did you ever get diagnosed with melanoma before?

hellokitty1
                Participant

No, I have not been diagnosed. But I have many, many atypical moles and all the possible risk factors for melanoma. It would be unusual for a 2mm mole to be melanoma because most melanomas are what's called superficial spreading. It goes out before it goes down. If you had a spreading melanoma caught at 2mm it would be very early. Nodular melanomas can be that small, but they are typically quite raised and hard as a rock. Those are invasive, but they generally pop up fast and don't tend to sit around for two years unchanged, as you've indicated. Blue nevus also can mimick a melanoma because of the black color, and despite the name they don't always have a blue tint; my dad and I both have tan ones.

ANY mole could be melanoma. I would be lying if I said there were no chance. But I will re-iterate not to internalize your doctor's concern. She could be the type of doctor who shows more concern than average.

I'm telling you this stuff because from your responses I sense you're the type of person who is calmer with more information. I'm the same exact way. You're likely to worry until you get your results. My derm gets them in about a week. When a mole is benign, you might not get a call at all. You could call the office if you're concerned.

stanjuza
                  Participant

Thank you for the advice and insight, it means so much to me, you have no idea. YES, I feel more calm with information, even thought it really probably doesn't change anything, but i feel 'some' sense of control I guess. I am extremely anxious, and I am sure this isn't healthy to be so worried. 

Thank you for the thoughts on my little black mole. I had similar ideas that this would be early melanoma if it's only 2mm, but now the more I look at it (the dermatologist took a pic for me as I couldn't see it on my back) it looks more like the nodular melanoma, although not very raised, but very round and black. I have no idea how long it was that dark, but I did see a pic of my back from 2 years ago from taken from afar and I can see the spot, but it doesn't look black, so it may have evolved to black and I have no idea when, so that is worrying me as I had no idea and wasn't watching it like i do with my other moles I see. I don't know if it was hard or raised, but i asked the derm if it was raised and she said 'slightly', but it does look a little bit like the nodular melanomas without the dome shape. Do you think that nodular melanoma are always dome shaped?

I guess i will have to wait and see. She said pathology takes 2 weeks, and I am preparing for that. Hopefully it's sooner. 

stanjuza
                    Participant

PS, good luck with your biopsy and if you want to keep in touch, it would be nice to chat with someone who is going through this wait. It's my first one and it's probably the scariest thing I have been through. I am trying to breathe, do mediation and eat well, but it's not easy as it's always on my mind and waking up with panic attacks… ugh.

valeryskor
                      Participant

Hi, I have melanoma too and I want to keep in touch althought I'm living not in UK but in Ukraine.Iit would be nice to chat with you.

Thanks,

Valery.

valeryskor
                        Participant

Hi, I have mlanoma at my back too. I'd like to have chat with somone although I'm living not in Uk but in Ukraine. Is it possibly?

With best wishes,

Valery.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics